Weissbier Weihenstephaner Kristall Weissbier Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

escalante88

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
W3068
Yeast Starter
1 Liter
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Almost identical to original.
To date my most delicious beer. Many thanks to DeathBrewer, who helped with with numerous steps. The recipe roughly calls for the following:

3.5 lb Wheat DME
3.8 lb German Wheat
1.5 lb 2 Row German Pilsner
0.80 Hallertaur Hops @ 60 mins
W3068 w/ starter

Kept fermentation below 65 F to avoid a banana bomb. Cold-crashed for 1 week at ~ 40 F. Added Saflager W-34/70 when I bottled.

Mistakes: not nearly enough priming sugar - used 6 oz for 5.5 gallons, but man - not even close - head is almost nonexistent. Mine is also darker. Should have cold-crashed for longer to improve clarity. Also, pantyhose fell off autosiphon tube and allowed some yeast to get into secondary.

Conclusion: My German neighbor who grew up in Munich can't tell the difference in taste between it and the real thing.

IMG_0271.jpg

Great work. I can just almost taste it from here. It's hard to not get a good head on a wheat beer. Keep your bottles in a room > 70 for a couple of weeks and I bet you get the fizz. 6 oz. sugar in a 5.5 is plenty.

I missed the clarity on my last Kristall. If you want to make it clear, I believe you need to crash very cold, then gelatin. The gelatin will drop any remaining yeast out of the beer and hold it solid on the bottom. Then, bottle (or transfer to another container) while still cold (don't warm up). This will hopefully hold the yeast and haze forming proteins to the bottom. My guess, anyway.

Thanks. I let the secondary warm up after I took it out of the fridge, so that certainly didn't contribute to the clarity. At the time I was thinking I should let the temp increase to allow the bottling yeast to work, but now that I think about it - it was lager yeast! Oh well. I will definitely crank down the temp next time, add gelatin, and bottle cold. It's been a week since I bottled and still no fizzle. Hmmm...

Great Recipe! i just brewed it myself and it came out great! after week one in bottles i opened one and i had the same problem of little or no head, but after week 2 it has great head.

I know this is an old post, but I needed to give an update so people do not make the mistakes I did. I followed this recipe exactly and my OG was 1.032! Obviously unacceptable ABV. I punched it into Beersmith and got exactly 1.032 OG. So now I've added another 3 lb. of DME and pitched another Wyeast 3068 (Weihenstephan). I would say that part of the problem that Escalante88 had was seriously low OG ABV leading to lack of carbonation.
So my timeline went like this:
19 Apr Brew - OG 1.032
4 May - Gravity 1.015, then Added 3 lb. DME and re-pitched yeast (could not check gravity due to foam)
12 May - Gravity 1.019 - Rack to secondary

Beersmith estimated my OG to be 1.054 with all ingredients now, but who knows with the time differences.

Hopefully in another week my gravity will go down to closer to 1.010

I know this is an old post, but I needed to give an update so people do not make the mistakes I did. I followed this recipe exactly and my OG was 1.032! Obviously unacceptable ABV. I punched it into Beersmith and got exactly 1.032 OG. So now I've added another 3 lb. of DME and pitched another Wyeast 3068 (Weihenstephan). I would say that part of the problem that Escalante88 had was seriously low OG ABV leading to lack of carbonation.
So my timeline went like this:
19 Apr Brew - OG 1.032
4 May - Gravity 1.015, then Added 3 lb. DME and re-pitched yeast (could not check gravity due to foam)
12 May - Gravity 1.019 - Rack to secondary

Beersmith estimated my OG to be 1.054 with all ingredients now, but who knows with the time differences.

Hopefully in another week my gravity will go down to closer to 1.010

How did this one turn out? I'm thinking of brewing this and I was curious as to how long of a fermentation period (primary/secondary) it was. Looks like 3 weeks+/- on primary and then secondary for 1 week?

Has anyone tried it with filtration to clear it up? I read somewhere this is what they do at the brewery.

That sounds and looks fantastic! I would try clarity ferm when you pitch next time(that will help with the chill haze). Then cold crash and gel for a week, package for 3.5 volumes and bottle condition for a month at 70F. Then you can pop some tops and enjoy. Kristalweizen is definitely a waiting game for it all to clear up

1608082620271.png

Looks good! If I used W3068 and wanted to bring out those banana flavors what temperature do you think would be best?

I've learned with most German wheat beer strains, cooler brings out the clove phenols and warmer brings out the banana esters. Under pitching definitely helps with a banana bomb

If your are into step mashing, mashing at 110 °F (43 °C) aids in the hydrolysis of ferulic acid. The yeast use ferulic acid to produce 4-vinyl guaiacol, which is the phenolic (clove-like) flavor. This is more predominent than banana in other types of weizen like Schneider (different yeast too of course). So not really what you are looking for but more my thing :p

Back