Legal issues: Freetail Brewing Co.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hahaha! That's great. I visited Freetail 2 years ago. Pretty good beer, fantastic pizza.

What a DUDE! One of the partners in this exchange will live a lot longer than the other due to being so much more laid back...

"...you coulda just asked me nicely and saved the legal fees"

Too true. Great read.

after a quick search, isn't the internet great, it seems that two other breweries use "Hopasaurus Rex". Steelhead Brewing in Oregon and Titletown in Wisco.

So what's the context of the C&D letter? Is this real, from another brewery, regarding the use of "Hopasaurus Rex"?

I recognized the name almost instantly as a Title Town brew name. While not completely out of the question I would find it hard to believe it was them. They are a great group of people and pretty easy going.

FWIW the TT Hopasaurus Rex is pretty tasty, I have had more than 1 pint of it.

I tried holding my monitor up to the light to see what was behind the blacked out areas... no go...

OH... There are TWO beers named Hopasaurus Rex. One from Steelhead and the other from Titletown...
Is the name that is the problem or just the "Mark", which I dont even know what that means. I assume by the description on their website its a hoprocket type device...any case damn funny

"I will NOT give you a hug the next time i see you, but i will try your beer and still high five."

lol. that is the correct way to respond to a ridiculous request.

I tried holding my monitor up to the light to see what was behind the blacked out areas... no go...

OH... There are TWO beers named Hopasaurus Rex. One from Steelhead and the other from Titletown...
Is the name that is the problem or just the "Mark", which I dont even know what that means. I assume by the description on their website its a hoprocket type device...any case damn funny

Steelhead's from Eugene, Oregon, which would certainly explain the beard comment (although it's certainly not out of the question for Green Bay, either).

The name is the mark.

From the USPTO site:

Trademark Electronic Search System (TESS)
Trademark Electronic Search System (TESS)

Word Mark HOPASAURUS REX
Goods and Services IC 032. US 045 046 048. G & S: Beer. FIRST USE: 20000215. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20000215
Standard Characters Claimed
Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Serial Number 85038920
Filing Date May 14, 2010
Current Filing Basis 1A
Original Filing Basis 1A
Published for Opposition October 5, 2010
Registration Number 3893953
Registration Date December 21, 2010
Owner (REGISTRANT) McKenzie Brewing Co. CORPORATION OREGON 199 EAST 5TH AVE Eugene OREGON 97401
Attorney of Record JANE M YATES
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

I'm guessing that Steelhead either bought out McKenzie and assumed their intellectual property and trademarks, or the nanos merged into a micro conglomerate.
It's the same address as listed on their site:
http://www.steelheadbrewery.com/eugene.htm

I love this! Would love to know who the ****** is that hired the lawyer!

These C&D letters (or "nastygrams" as my distiller buddy calls them) are really common and cheap to send. Usually they are sent from the bigger producer to a smaller producer to get the response desired without a lawsuit.

The big corporations can sue any small producer out of existence on these trademark issues.

Redacted PDF + Photoshop + brightness & contrast + Google:

Arnold Gallagher Percell Roberts & Potter, P.C.. Attorneys at Law
800 Willamette Street, Suite 800.
Eugene, OR 97401

willamette street!? classic.

You can definitely see the OR thru the black marker on the original PDF.

ao125 said:
Redacted PDF + Photoshop + brightness & contrast + Google:

Arnold Gallagher Percell Roberts & Potter, P.C.. Attorneys at Law
800 Willamette Street, Suite 800.
Eugene, OR 97401

Now that's some NCIS **** right there

Back