Kegging Set-up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brutus Brewer

Reaction score
I would like to get into kegging my beer as well as making some lagers. I originally thought I could buy a chest type freezer for both, but am starting to think that may not be the best way to go. Would I be further ahead to buy a chest freezer and outfit it with a temperature controller for the lagering, and an additional freezer or refrigerator to hold the kegs. How do some of you do this?

I would recommend two chest freezers. One for lagering, one for kegs. Reason: lagering temps and keg serving temps are not always the same, you'll want that individual control is you're serious about lagering.

I just use my old fridge for my kegs and commercial brew, And I lager the old fashion way by taking advantage of the weather and the cooler or warmer parts of my basement, If it's cold I lager, if it's cool I brew ale and when it turns warm or hot I enjoy the fruits of my labor or drink some of the many excellent commerical brews now available if I run out of home brew

I'm not a tree hugger or a global warming nut job but I do try to use energy responsively

I know it's not the typical thing to do in an otherwise equipment intensive hobby but sometimes less is more

I'm not a tree hugger or a global warming nut job but I do try to use energy responsively

I know it's not the typical thing to do in an otherwise equipment intensive hobby but sometimes less is more

You have to look at all the Trucking that you saved on producing your beer locally :mug:

dp

You have to look at all the Trucking that you saved on producing your beer locally :mug:

dp

Perhaps I should rephrase my assertion. I think the global warming hypothesis is a bunch of Bull $hit!

But it's a great excuse (along with all the others) for the various powers that be to raise energy prices thur various means. Right now electricty is a bargain (at least here in GA) compared to other forms of energy, but that's going to change and probably not too far down the road. So 1. I like the challenge of using the weather as an ally & 2. Since the money I make is unlikely to keep pace with inflation I want to be as energy effecient as possible so future price spikes don't have as much of an effect on me and my family as might otherwise be the case.

:mug:

interesting topic. right now I am using an old fridge to make my lager in. When finished, I am going to try to get into kegging. I have a friend who is giving (lending long term) me two of his many 5 gallon corny kegs. The best part is, they will be full of beer when they arrive :mug:

Anyway, I will pick up the rest of the necessary supplies to serve, and be set. But, I will need to decide what I am going to use to serve from.

I don't really want to cut holes in the fridge. I bought it with the intent to make a kegarator from, but can't bring myself to cut it up. My wifes great aunt bought this thing new back in the early 50's, and it is in pristine shape. Not a thing wrong with the interior. So, I have designated it my lagaring fridge. I have an Octoberfest sitting in there now in the primary at 51 degrees, and after a rest will drop it down slowly into the 35 range.

As far as chest freezers, I have heard of people using them for both, how is this done?

Latest posts

Back