First Apfelwein Brew; Bubbling Away

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnotherFinch

Reaction score
[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_HqQxaoh2uU&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_HqQxaoh2uU&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]THERE IT IS GUYS!

I was a little worried about my first brew for a bit there, but I woke up today to see it bubbling away after just twelve hours. This video was taken 24 hours after pitching and mixing in the yeast, and though it's not perfect, I like that it's doing something.

Sorry about the music in the vid, the mic on my webcam broke and I was too lazy to grab my other camera, so I just tossed in a song to keep it from being a silent video.

Congratulations!
I recommend that you abandon the hobby now - before it consumes your life.

Brad

Oh trust me... months before even starting this brew I was well consumed.

I guess it's only natural that if I love drinking the stuff, I'd love making it as well...

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/De4e4lucDBA&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/De4e4lucDBA&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Is this a good amount of bubbling for day two?

I'm about a week into my brew, and the bubbling has gone down dramatically. I used Lavix EC-1118 yeast if that makes any difference. What's the normal bubbling rate after a week?

Ed's totally right, start another batch now. I made the mistake of waiting until my first batch was done before starting a second. Now I'm going to have an agonizing apfelwein-less month. Really, now that I think about it, I should be making another five gallons right now.

Holy crap, I forgot about my second batch, that week really snuck up on me with work and all. I have a 6-gallon Deer Park bottle I'm gonna attach a blowoff tube to so that I can do my second batch with a little cinnamon in it.

I just took a gravity reading exactly two weeks into brewing. It's not bubbling anymore, but it's still cloudy, so I think I'll give it another week or two.

My original gravity was 1.07, and two weeks later it's at .994. Now, if I'm doing my math correctly, I should be at around 10% AC, right?

Grrrr, I really can't wait 'till I can drink a finished aged pint of the stuff.

I just tried a tiny sip of the gravity tube, and even though I know it's not done (I was excited), it wasn't that bad. A little dry, but still a bit sweet/bitter, no lingering aftertaste, and it went down smooth.

Thanks, you guys!

Also, do I NEED to put it into a secondary fermenter, or should I just leave it in the primary as is until it's good and clear?

Is there a definite difference in taste?

No need for a secondary, just leave it. The finished product should be as clear as the juice you used.

No more taste tests :) Let that stuff sit for two to three more weeks.

Don't make the mistake I made..... start another batch right now.

I'm just waiting to get some cash tomorrow and head out to the store to do my second brew. I'm gonna play around a bit with the taste on this one, but nothing too extreme. I may end up starting it in about two days, so it shouldn't be too far behind the first one.

And all my friends are expecting a small taste testing party for the stuff, since I've been talking non-stop about brewing, so I get the impression that this stuff is gonna go FAST.

I guess I should charge a small fee per liter of the stuff just so I can pick up some Deer Park 6-7 gallon jugs?

Just started my second brew in a spare Deer Park bottle, as I sip on a glass of my finished first. I'll be starting another five gallons in a few days in my original carboy, then have ten around the corner. :D

Back