am i fermenting too warm?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would say yes. That may likely result in off flavors. Before I truly understood managing temps, I had a batch that fermented at 78. It was gross; very harsh alcohol taste. I've had it sitting in bottles for a while, hoping it would improve; but I don't think it will get better.

That really depends on the strain of yeast you're using. For most yeast strains, 76 is too hot. Which yeast strain did you pitch?

You generally want to aim for the lower end of the yeast fermentation recommended temperature. Keep in mind fermentation is exothermic. Meaning it will generate its own heat so it will be warmer than what your ambient temp is. A cheap easy way to control temps is to use a big keg tub and put the fermenter in it and surround the fermenter with water to almost the level of wort in the fermenter. Then add frozen water bottles as needed to keep the temps within range.

I had a IPA that I brewed with US-05 and it got up to 78 during a freak 80degree heat wave in January. I was freaking out at the time. I ended up leaving it in primary for an additional 12 days (almost 4 weeks total) and I just bottled yesterday. It tasted fine to me so hopefully I won't get the harsh taste everyone talks about...unless it doesn't show until carbonation. Either way, I'm not dumping it.

Homebrews are like children...you still love the bad ones simply because you made them.

Back