just finished first batch of skeeter pee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesdel

Reaction score
And dang that stuff is good.
But I have heard of people using lime instead of lemon. I am going to try that next I found 15 oz bottles of reallime. I am going to do it like skeeter pee but with the addition of cherries as well. found Oregon brand pitted cherries in water at the local stoe , sooo what do ya think ????

How long did it have to sit before it was drinkable? I'm only curious because me and a friend have a plan to make quite a bit of this soon. I would appreciate any useful info you may have that is above and beyond any info found on the site. I've found that sometimes "tips" become more a part of the recipe. lol

I let it sit for about two months before I tried the sparoliod , or how ever its spelled. Backsweetened at I though it was pretty tasty !!!

Definitely try using lime. Look up my post on margarita wine for a recipe that is based off of the skeeter pee recipe. I used key lime juice as I like its flavor more than regular lime juice. The first, and only, skeeter pee I made I added bluberries to it. To backsweeten, I used a blueberry syrup I found at a European market and I'm very glad I did it. I say try out the cherries and see how it goes! I will say this though: the reason I added the blueberry syrup is because the 2 pounds of blueberries I added during primary fermentation lost almost all of its flavor. I've read that adding fruit in the secondary will help retain the flavor.

How long did it have to sit before it was drinkable? I'm only curious because me and a friend have a plan to make quite a bit of this soon. I would appreciate any useful info you may have that is above and beyond any info found on the site. I've found that sometimes "tips" become more a part of the recipe. lol

I found absolutely no difference with age. Basically as soon as you clear and backsweeten, it's good to go.

yep what Pablo said , and apple jacker I will wait until it goes into the secondary then sounds good and thanks
Jim

A bit of an update I let it sit for a little over two full days before I pitched the yeast . It has been a ccouple of days and there seem to be a bit of bubbling going on. so looks like I am off to a good start.going to wait for a couple more days and move it in to a carboy wait until it drops to 1.00 or so transfer agin and add the herries. I will add the syrup right befor I bottleI think.
Jim

TattooedViking9 said:

I do not use sparkalloid, and every batch of SkeeterPee is clear in under sixty days and ready to consume once racked, stabilized and backsweetened. It does not matter if it is the classic, original recipe or if I incorporate fruit pulp/fresh or frozen fruit/puree/nectar/juice. The results of a survey amongst a core group of friends comparing SkeeterPee that is young vs bottle aged six months is that the aged version is preferred, 10:1. It seems more rounded out and smoother. Three even commented that the aged version reminds them of the lemon shakeups sold at amusement/ball parks/fairs. So, if you can manage to stash a few bottles of every batch to the side, you can try an aged SkeeterPee. I actually have three gallons remaining of Raspberry Skeeter Pee that are nine months old and out of this world. This wine is the only wine that I have discovered to date, other than the Ambrosia Short Mead kits, that is delicious as soon as it is clear!

K well I couldnt help myself :) It was time to add the rest of the stuff so I thought what the hey , ad the cherries as well !!!! maybe it works maybe it dont guess I will know in about a month :)

Back