Following types.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randolf

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm an extract only brewer,(Meets my needs),and I'd like to know if anyone out there says,"Hey,I don't want too follow the rigid guidelines imposed on a certain type of beer.I have gotten to the point where I have several types of LME, Light,Amber,Dark,and Wheat. Using these LMES and a variance of hops.I can create my own styles,types of beers,that are user friendly,tasty,and fit MY bill for and enjoyable brew.Anyone else feel the same....?Please answer........

i'm not sure what you're asking, but i'm also from York...

Hey Atom, my point is why do we have to stay within the parameters of say a pilner or a stout,when we can use all of the elements to make different kinds of beer.This is what I do.

Hey Atom, my point is why do we have to stay within the parameters of say a pilner or a stout,when we can use all of the elements to make different kinds of beer.This is what I do.

Make whatever you want, it's YOUR beer. Unless you plan on entering it into a competition where a category is required, no one cares what your beer is/isn't. Just drink it, enjoy it, and brew on brother!

Lets say I feel like a North West Coast Ale,and have 6.6# of Amber LME. I'll add 1-1 1/2 oz of Cascades and calit "The Great Northener Ale" Works for me

You're homebrewing. You don't HAVE to do anything.

Stye guidelines are nice, and will help get you pointed in the right direction, but there's no reason you can't go all mad scientist. Of course, throwing crap together willy nilly could result in awful/awesome beer. Keep notes as to what you do so that you can replicate your successes/avoid recreating your mistakes.

My next brew will be a "big" Irish red. I'll be close to the style guidelines, but I'm going to end up with a little higher gravity (blanced with slightly higher hops) than the style technically calls for. If I enter it in a competition, I might get dinged for that.

Since I'm not entering it in a competiton, I'm not worried about stretching the boundaires.

But hey... if you wanna brew a dark hopbomb with saison yeast and a little coriander... psh, go for it. It's your beer/sink drains.

Roger that.......its all good,and feeling that you have created a good brew is ........well orgasmic...?lol

my point is why do we have to stay within the parameters of say a pilner or a stout,....

Who told you this?

It's a form of cooking. There are guidelines for specific styles, but contrary to popular belief, there are no Beer Police who roam the countryside ensuring we stick to pre-determined brewing parameters.

Well,it's my belief that since beer has been brewed for the last 10,000 years,anything we just throw together is likely to closely resemble another brewers' style of beer. Maybe with a slightly different personal touch.
But with so many being brewed,coming up with something totally new out of the same ingredients will be tough. More like different twists nowadays,from what I see & taste.

HOMEBREWDAD, ...respect you entering contests...hope you are sucessfull. I brew for my own enjoyment...Don't follow guidelines,just my taste buds Good luck with your entries

HOMEBREWDAD, ...respect you entering contests...hope you are sucessfull. I brew for my own enjoyment...Don't follow guidelines,just my taste buds Good luck with your entries

Psh, I'm not there yet, dude. That's my point - I'm not planning on entering anything in the near future, so I'm not worried about exceeding the style for my Irish red. If I was going to enter it, I would regin in the gravity a bit.

Best of luck in your creations!

I think that it is fair to say that everyone here brews for their own enjoyment. But some actually enjoy nailing a style spot-on with heir equipment/process. At the end of the day, only you have to be satisfied with your brew.

You are not the only brewer venturing outside style guidelines. Commercial/craft brewers do it all the time. Ever hear of a White IPA?

Make whatever you want and like. I made my last Wit for example by adding irish moss and cold crashed on top of that. I wanted the taste not the cloudy look. It was great beer however it went against the "wheat" style by being spotlessly clear.

beerloaf

That's what I'm talkin about.....non conformity, throwning dill pickles in the fermenter,etc...lol.....It's all good if it suits you ,Right? Remember"Never throw out a misconcocted Brew" there maybe someone out there that will drink it.....lol !

Dill pickles? :confused:

Yeah, I'm too mainstream for you, dude. I cringe at some of the serious "out there" stuff that I see posted here, but more power to those that enjoy it.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but your dill pickle beer would probably fit in style guidlines for category 21A of the BJCP. Or category 23A...

I was just kidden about the pickle,but you see where I'm comin from,Use your imagination. Brew your own concoctions,from your own recipes.I have yet to brew one from my own recipes that did'nt go over well.

Back