Storeing my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dstreetbrew

Reaction score
Just got a chest freezer to put my kegs In. Want to start puting bottles beer in as well to age. What is the best temp to age beer?

I have to disagree with 70 degrees. I think most will tell you between 50 - 60 degrees. I keep my beer fridge at 55

Just got a chest freezer to put my kegs In. Want to start puting bottles beer in as well to age. What is the best temp to age beer?

It is generally accepted to age beer in the 45-60 degree range. Big, heavy beers like to be in the 55-60 degree range while light lagers and wheat beers like to be in the 45-50 degree range.

The higher the alcohol the higher the temp.

Personally I don't age anything under 8%abv unless it is a sour. I don't even age in a chest freezer. I have a closet in the middle of my house that works out very well.

Here is a good place to start reading.

ok, i thought that by "age" he meant condition/carbing. if my beer has already been conditioned and carbonated i keep it at room temp (60-70 depending on the season here in oakland) they gradually make it into the fridge over time as i drink them. i have a pretty big pipeline so it would be impossible to keep it all in cold storage without a walk in refrigerator. i condition the beer at 70 degrees.

Professionals cellar age their beers at 55F, but typically only higher ABV beers. If you just want to condition a normal gravity batch, 2-4 extra weeks past carbonation between 60-70F is fine.

Back