Saranac White IPA clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gijimmy

Reaction score
Trying to find a recipe for this beer. anyone ever hear of or see one? Thanks!

I've also been thinking about doing a batch of this. They have this on the Saranac website
Beer Style: Hybrid IPA/Belgian White
Malt Selections: 2 Row Wheat Oats
Hop Selections: Citra
Color: Pale Straw-Hazy
Mouthfeel / Body: Medium
Food Companions: Bleu Cheese, Poultry, Pork
Alcohol By Volume: 6.0%
Original Gravity: 14.8

I emailed them in hopes they would give me the recipe or at least point me in the right direction. My guess is to make a wheat beer and hop it like you would an ipa with citra. I'll let you know if I hear anything from Saranac.

Yeah i got that off their website too...i tried to come up with a recipe should be drinkable in a few days....Just have to taste it and see if i got close.

Here is the recipe I came up with...wife just tried a bottle last night said it was good, not as bitter as saranac. I know i messed a few things up (never crushed the corainder seeds and color is darker than expected.). I haven't tasted it yet because i have a cold and can't taste anything lol. Here is the recipe i came up with.

3.3lbs Briess Wheat LME
3.3 Light/pale Malt Extract Syrup
2.0lbs American 2 row Pale
1.0lbs Flaked oats

I steeped the 2 row and the oats for 55 mins @ 156 F and rinsed them with 2 quarts of hot water. I added 1 oz of citra hops 20 mins into my 60 minute boil and then added another ounce @ 10 mins left. I dry hopped 1.5oz for about a week.

Nice. Looks good from what this newbie knows so far. I'll definitely be trying this. Thanks for posting.

well i used 1.5 oz but didn't crush the seeds so not sure how much flavor i actually got from them...i threw them in the last 10 mins of the boil. I've since tasted a bottle or two and its pretty good, only thing i'm going to try for is a little more citrus flavor.

gijimmy said:
well i used 1.5 oz but didn't crush the seeds so not sure how much flavor i actually got from them...i threw them in the last 10 mins of the boil. I've since tasted a bottle or two and its pretty good, only thing i'm going to try for is a little more citrus flavor.

Cool thanks. I might have to give this a shot next week. I wonder how to give it more citrus flavor? What kind of yeast did you use? Some yeasts definitely help give a citrus flavor.

I got the ingredients for a 2nd batch, made a few minor changes, useing extra pale malt and going to remember to crush the coriander seeds.

Back