How big of burner do you use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husker

Reaction score
Hey all,

I just got the cheap turkey fryer from bass pro. For some reason I thought the burner was 55,000 BTU's. It turns out it is only 38,000. Is this powerful enough to do the trick in a timely matter? It comes with a 30 quart pot so im stuck with 5 gal batches.

Also will the 30 quart be big enough and what can i do to prevent boil overs?

Also how do you clean the pot. No PBW right?

Thanks for the help!

PBW is fine for cleaning your brewpot.

I do 10 gallon batches in a 15gallon pot (sanke keg) with a bayou classic SQ-14 burner and it works great I bet your fryer is fine for 5 gallons batches.

I don't know about your pot size but keeping a cup of cold water next to where you are brewing and splashing it in while it is at hot break will do wonders for preventing boil overs. If you are that worried about them I would boil outside since you have a turkey fryer.

Is the brewpot Stainless Steel or Aluminum. Ithink pBW will strip the oxidation layer off of Aluminum

I think the Bass Pro fryer is Aluminum. You don't want to strip the oxidation layer off. Just a hand cleaning should be sufficient IMHO.

Btu's is all about the regulator, you will have a hard time buying a high pressure turkey fryer anymore because people burn there houses down, just get a 30 psi regulator or if the one you have is adjustable just turn it up, gotta remove the tin cover on the reg to do this.

Aluminum brew pot. Should i use any soap? or just wipe it down with a rag?

Thanks

I use my basspro turkey fryer burner to do 10 gallon batches. It works, but it probably takes longer than what a better burner would take. It gets a rolling boil going.

Hey husker!

If your kettle is indeed aluminum, you'll want to avoid using any kind of harsh or acidic cleaners on it...

I run with a 15 gallon aluminum stock pot, and typically for cleanup, some warm water, a soft scrubby pad, and gentle persistence usually gets anything stuck off of the kettle.

The Lincoln Lagers homebrew club's monthly meeting is tomorrow night, Dec. 1st. If you'd like to meet some fellow homebrewers and compare notes, we'd love to have you come out and see us! Location, time, etc. is all posted on our web page, you can get there through the link in my signature below.

Welcome to homebrewing and I hope you're enjoying your time with the hobby so far!

Just got the burner today and it boiled the water in about 20 min, not to bad.

What about steeping grains? I really see no way to control the flame, can i steep in 2.5 gallons on the stove, then move the water to the kettle with the other 2.5 gallons?

Thanks!

Back