help with haclyon cascade smash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBrady

Reaction score
hey guys I have these ingrediants available and have come up with this starter recipe. Hows the hop schedule look? Can the cascades be better utilized a different way? Thanks for any info on my smash.

10.00 lb Pale Malt, Halcyon (Thomas Fawcett) (3.0 SRM) Grain 100.00 %
1.00 oz Cascade [5.00 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 19.6 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.00 %] (15 min) Hops 8.9 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.00 %] (5 min) Hops 3.6 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.057 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.64 %
Bitterness: 32.0 IBU
Est Color: 5.1 SRM Color:

With 4 oz, have you tried doing all 4 oz during the last 15 minutes or so? Jamil Zainahseff swears by it. I've never tried it, but with all those hops in the end, you get still get a fair amount of bitterness plus a huge aroma.

With 4 oz, have you tried doing all 4 oz during the last 15 minutes or so? Jamil Zainahseff swears by it. I've never tried it, but with all those hops in the end, you get still get a fair amount of bitterness plus a huge aroma.

I may try that, does jamil have any articles online about this where I can see how he does it?

http://www.mrmalty.com/late_hopping.htm

A guy in my beer club brought a pale ale with all late hop scheduling. Very smooth.
Good luck!

I went with the late hopping on my smash brew last night. Thanks for the suggestion, i've done so many APA's this year that one more same old brew would have been boring. I scaled the haylcon malt back to 9 pounds and called it a blonde ale with 1.00oz of hops at 25,15,5, and 0 minutes. It came in at about 25 IBU's, I'm really looking forward to seeing the difference in a all late hopped beer. Thanks again for the suggestions.

I went with the late hopping on my smash brew last night. Thanks for the suggestion, i've done so many APA's this year that one more same old brew would have been boring. I scaled the haylcon malt back to 9 pounds and called it a blonde ale with 1.00oz of hops at 25,15,5, and 0 minutes. It came in at about 25 IBU's, I'm really looking forward to seeing the difference in a all late hopped beer. Thanks again for the suggestions.

Schedule looks good. Did you use Beersmith to calculate IBU's? I've heard that with the late hop additions it can be fairly inaccurate so you may be looking at low to mid 30's. The article has Jamil's IBU calculations.

What was your malt recipe? Haven't done an APA in a while and there's a 5lb bag of 2 row with Pale ale written all over it after I do my wheat. :rockin:

Cheers:mug:

Schedule looks good. Did you use Beersmith to calculate IBU's? I've heard that with the late hop additions it can be fairly inaccurate so you may be looking at low to mid 30's. The article has Jamil's IBU calculations.

What was your malt recipe? Haven't done an APA in a while and there's a 5lb bag of 2 row with Pale ale written all over it after I do my wheat. :rockin:

Cheers:mug:

I used 9 pounds of fawcett haylcon malt by itself for this one, it put my og right at 1.051. I did use beersmith for my recipe but my experience is that whatever ibu numbers i get calculated are lower than what I actually think is in the beer, but I've never done a late hop brew before.

thanks for all the info

Back