Sediment and flakes in bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedaler

Reaction score
Hey all,

So on my last brew I did a Belgian golden ale, and I finally made a beer that had good clarity while chilled. However, I then noticed small flakes of something, presumably hops since they are solid, floating in many of the beers. I'm not sure if I've always had these and just never noticed them before since my beer wasn't clear, or if it was just this batch. Anyway, I'm wondering if you guys have that in your bottles too, and what I can do to remove it (guests don't particularly like it). I used a racking cane with the attachment at the end to help minimize it, but it must not have worked.

Thanks

No unfortunately I do not have one, so I usually leave my brew in the primary for close to 2 weeks. However, generally when I open the primary to siphon, many flakes are floating on top and throughout, not having settled on the bottom, so I figured it wouldn't make a huge difference using a secondary anyway.

Yes, a secondary will really help to clearyour beer. If you want a cheap alternative when you rack to your bottling bucket ziptie a sanitized 1 gallon mesh paint strainer onto the end of your racking cane and that will filter most if not all the floaties.

Cool, sounds like a good idea....will it still siphon with that on there though? Should I put it on the end inside the fermenter or the end in the bottling bucket?

No you attach it to the racking cane itself so that the beer gets filtered before it enters the end of the racking cane

I always use a secondary for a week to help remove the floaters. I also use a funnel with a screen or just a screen will work, to remove it while transfering from the fermentor to the bottling bucket. :cross:

Back