thinking of a brew shed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
what would be the minimum dimensions on a brew shed? I am contemplating building one to get some of this stuff out of the house, and I would like to put in a fermentation chamber. I have the room to build one as big as I want just not the funds. so what do you think?

8'x10' is the smallest I'd consider. Mine is 12'x12'. I like it, and I have plenty of room for brewing and a bit of storage. However, it gets cramped if I have company for the brew day.

I would suggest you come up with the size you want then go about 10-20% larger. A brew shed or garden shed will fill up quickly.

Mine is 30' X 40'... it started out as a wood shop but is slowly being taken over by brewing stuff :D

As Yuri said, I think a big question to ask yourself is if you plan to have guests on brew day. And will they just be hanging out or will they have their own equipment and be brewing?

During the winter, I've had 6 brewers in my "shed" plus equipment and other just watching (that was probably in a 20 X 30 space).

You can stack and store your equipment but obviously you're gonna spread out when using it.

One thing this site has taught me is "Go big or go home"

I'm toying with the idea of a brew shed in a future house, but it would have to be large enough to have a urinal, a deep-sink, running water, drain system, etc, and a flatscreen TV is a must. Then again, I may have to allow room for my treadmill and eliptical to burn off calories while I'm waiting for the water to boil. ;)

No matter what size you decide on, you'll wish you'd gone bigger/better but there is also something to be said for a shorter wait before you can put your new Brewcility to use. Maybe an 8'x8' shack with a roof that's good to go in a week could end up being the bathroom of your eventual party-shack. :)

Yooper's right, 8x10 is about the minimum. You need to leave an aisle in the middle, so 10' would give you 3-4' on either side.

Back