Question about adding ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HereFerbeer

Reaction score
Hey, great to see so many dedicated beer brewers out there. I'm new to the hobby but my first generation weizen beer was a hit, so I will brew on. I'm looking at a herb and spice beer recipe and I'm not sure about a few things. For the different hops it has the different cooking times, ok no problem, but for the last hop ingredient it simply says "dry hop 7 days." What does this mean? Second, other ingredients, specifically coriander seeds and seeds of paradise are listed as adding to the boil about 55 minutes in, but then right after it lists them again and says "secondary 7 days." Does this mean after the boil, to add more in secondary fermentation? Thanks in advance for your help guys, and brew on.

You have it right. The spices are to be added in the last 5 minutes of the boil, and then also in the secondary. Dry hopping is adding hops to the secondary. Basically when the primary fermentation is complete, rack the beer over to a secondary and then throw in the additional hops and spices and let it sit for a week.

dry hop 7 days will be in the secondary(add the required hops from the package, dry, to the secondary)
never having used the seeds i will defer to someone with experience
good luck and welcome
edit - brew smith types faster than me

Back