Rhizome Conundrum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeetsCriteria

Reaction score
Well, one of my hops started out looking good, then died back. Not sure the issue. I thought over-watering perhaps.

Anyways, I decided to dig up the Centennial rhizome as everything looked dead. Plan was to put something else in the pot.

Well, here is what I dug up:

DSC02419.jpg

DSC02417.jpg

Don't know about you guys, but looks pretty darn viable. The part I have in my hand seems to be sort of rotten but the other end is firm, and then there's all the buds on it.

My first though was to put it back in the ground. But my pot busted as I was amending the soil.

So, I put it in a plastic baggie, and in the fridge for now. Question is, plant it, to try to get a head start for next year, or just chalk it up and plant it in the spring?

I'd probably get a bigger pot this time. Wine barrel or some such...

Thoughts appreciated...especially from anyone who has experience planting rhizomes late in the season, and what to expect next year, etc...

Cheers,

Mike

I do not speak from experience, but my personal inclination, with respect to your location, would be to put it in the ground. If it has life, let it put down some roots, get some leaves and it will take care of itself over the winter.

I do not think you have quite the worries that folks further north do... in fact, I would bet that put in the ground now, you will still get a pretty decent growth before cool weather forces it to go dormant.

One of mine died after an early harvest (and it was 20', multiple bines)... it sent up new shoots not too long after. I would post picts, but it is raining outside here.

Just my thoughts. The ground is where it wants to be.

That's what I'm leaning towards. Seems it'd have a better chance in the ground than in a plastic baggie in the fridge all winter...(whatever winter in SD is!) :)

+1 on cutting off the rotted parts. looks pretty healthy otherwise. amend your soil with some sand, perlite or lava rock... something to loosen it up and allow it to breathe.

I haven't checked but I may be in a similar situation as you. I have thizomes that have not even broken the ground this year (first year).

How do I know if they are dead or worth the water they are getting?

I haven't checked but I may be in a similar situation as you. I have thizomes that have not even broken the ground this year (first year).

How do I know if they are dead or worth the water they are getting?

Mine all first came up. Within a week in fact. This one really lagged however, and then the shoots withered away.

Another is over 20' tall and covered with hops (first year no less) though it is Chinook. Same pots. Same soil. Same watering schedule. I don't understand that, but it was the case.

It seems to me that little harm could come from looking if it's been months.

I used to fish a ton (before moving), and at times, the fish on the bottom sounder were so thick, you'd think you'd have to snag one with your hook, bait or no bait. I had a rule that if the bottom looked good, and no bites within 10 sec (or so) I'd reel up (even though it was say 130' of water) to check bait. Under the right conditions, the bait would be gone over 90% of the time. Never hurts to look.

I wouldn't say dig them all up, but you've been operating on faith for sometime. Time for a little objective feedback to know where you stand, I say.

At least then you can start making plans for next year, should the worst come to fruition. If things are happening...well just but it back. I'd carefully dig it up, which is what I did in this case...

Just my two cents...

Mike

Back