Looking for Vessels for a 10 gal system build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pun

Reaction score
OK guys. What are my options for mash, lauter and boil vessels? I'm building a 10 gallon system and I'm a little cloudy on where to buy/what to use. Any help in the form of advice or links to places that sell would be greatly appreciated.

I have 15g kegs I havent done a 10g with them yet but I'm pretty sure I can.

You don't need to know a welder to use Sanke's. Which are either 13.21 US gallons (11Imp or 50 liters) or 15.5 US gallons.

You just have to be able to make the holes for the weldless fittings.
I use a 4.5 inch grinder to cut the holes on top.

Knowing a Welder helps, a machine to use weldless fitness is a plus. You could also try a plasma cutter at a local machine or sheet metal shop. Good one's Vermont get 65.00 an hour, which is litittle bit more then the cost of the materials to do it solo where I live. The plasma cutter dued can usually be bribed with homebrew.;)

I guess it all depends on one's pricepoint.

jaybird said:
VERY good point! you will need to cut the tops out. I know there are other ways BUT... A plasma cutter makes a reaiiy nice hole.
JJ

As my current Avatar shows, I nice hole can be made with a grinder with a thin cutting wheel as well. Taks a bit of time but only coast me a few bucks for the disc. And no slag!

IF you live in So Cal you are in luck and you can get stainless pots for free. If you don't live here then you are stuck with either expensive pots or sanke kegs.

These are used pool filters that pool guys take to the scrap yard. I give them beer and they deliver them to my house for free. The ones I use are 30 gallon but they also come in 20 and 40 gallon. The 20's are good for 5 - 15 gallon batches.

Recirc3.jpg

If you have a Dremel, this will make short work of cutting out the top. No need to drill holes and the edge is pretty clean so smoothing it out is easier. You probably can Get R Done with 3 to 4 cutting wheels in about 15 minutes.

EZ406_lg.jpg

I am a garage toy fanatic and have the requisite plasma cutter and welding equipment. If you live in southern NM or west TX, I can easily be bribed with homebrew.

Thanks for the info, fellas. So, are all beer kegs stainless steel, or do I have to find a certain type?

All the new (80's and up) are SS. Some are SS with plastic/rubber coating on the top and bottom. Avoid these since they pain since you have to remove/burn off the coating.

Really old ones are Aluminum but are the old fashioned barrel shaped ones with a bung on the side.

I've heard their are aluminum kegs of the modern type but I haven't seen any.

I think we've settled down on Sankey kegs for all three vessels, unless I can score some sweet pool filter cannisters from a friend that works for a pool company.

Those pool filters are SWEET! Is there such a thing as vessel envy?

vessel envy!! Haha.

I really want to get started on a project like this as well. Would much rather make a bunch of beer in one session than 3 sessions...

Latest posts

Back