I call it A Joco Holiday Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JocoBrew6976

Reaction score
:mug:Hey Guys!:mug:

I decided that for Christmas and new years i was gonna brew a lager with it being nice cold weather and all.

I wanted some opinions or maybe tips on this recipe

1 Can of Cooper's Lager#3.75
1#Honey
3.3#Amer Classic Malted Wheat Ext
Malto-Dextrin
Cinnamon(added directly to secondary)

:cross:Ok is this bad or does it sound beautifull?:cross:

do you plan on hopping it any more? I don't have a lot of experince with brewing from cans so I don't know how much bitterness it will add, but you may want to think about adding some more hops, especially with about 8 lbs of extract for a 5 gal batch.

How much MDE are you using? +1 on maybe more hops (mostly early additions to your boil, remainder about 20- don't want it too hoppy). Another alternative, used in my last lager, I used 2 lbs rice syrup solids to add more body and flavor, without risking an overly hoppy lager. Hope this helps!

Oh, here's the recipe I used (northwest American Lager kit)-

3.15 lbs gold malt ext.
2 lbs rice syrup solids
1 oz saaz (60)

Safale S-23

Brewed on 10/19; letting this age till Christmas so can't attest to results; Lagers are really best the longer you let them go, so if you brew this, I don't know if it will be at it's prime by the holidays. Cheers!

tyhe kits are prehopped so im kinda worried about over hopping do you guys think the wheat extractis a good idea though thats what i was kinda ify about!

I have no clue how much bitterness those kits will give you. I brewed with one once and brewed a hefe. I like brewing with extract (not cans) because then I know exactly how much IBU's I am getting.

I would hazard a guess that you will want at least one more ounce of hops in for the full boil based on the amount of sugars you have in your recipe otherwise you will end up with a pretty unbalanced beer. Winter ales tend to have more of everything in them anyways, so it definatley won't hurt to add more hops. Thats my $0.02.

Back