DAP and Wyeast Nutrient?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HungusBrews

Reaction score
I've been reading Ken Schramm's Book, The Compleat Meadmaker, and am a bit confused on the usage of energizer vs nutrient. From what I understand, diammonium phosphate would commonly be called energizer and a blend of vitamins, minerals, nitrogen, etc. would commonly be called nutrient.

I guess my situation is this...I currently have wyeast nutrient blend Wyeast Laboratories. Brewer's Choice™ Wyeast Nutrient Blend which I assumed was the "nutrient" part of the equation. I also have straight diammonium phosphate which I assumed was the "energizer" part of the equation. Upon reading the finer print, it appears that the wyeast nutrient blend contains phosphates as well.

Would using both be detrimental to mead fermentation? i.e. too much phosphate

Should I just use the Wyeast nutrient blend? The directions say to boil it 10 min in the wort, but I will not be boiling (or heating) my mead must...is it OK just dissolve in warm water and add the solution to the must?

This will be my first attempt at Mead (WooHoo) and I intend to make a sweet show mead with about 15 lbs of basswood honey. Any advice would be appreciated :D

I used 3 tsp nutrient blend (1/3 Fermaid K and 2/3 DAP) added at pitching, 24 hours later and at the 1/3 sugar point (after 1/3 of the sugars have been fermented).

This was for 5 gallons.

thanks Cugel!

I still want to know if using straight DAP in addition to the Wyeast Nutrient Blend is necessary since the nutrient blend already has some phosphates. Not sure if this counts as DAP though, since I am sure there are different types of phosphate.

From one Whale to another (inside joke), I would use both.

I believe the Wyeast nutrient is made for beer, but I would assume that it would be close enough to wine/mead nutrients. Energizer is mainly DAP, with a few other goodies (yeast hulls, vitamins, and such).

Sweet...Thanks

I'm probably stressing about this too much, but I want my first attempt at mead to come out successful. I've been doing the research so I don't go into it as blindly, but it will still be a new adventure.

See ya in three weeks ;-)

Use both. the nutrient by Wyeast has a little DAP in it, but not nearly enough for mead making. Its designed just to add a little kick for beer making.

mead is too niche...not enough manufacturers making stuff JUST for us :)

Back