911 Starter question: sour smell(vinegar)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ph0ngwh0ng

Reaction score
Hey,

I made a starter friday out of a wyeast belgian witbier activator and 1 cup DME boiled in 1 quart of water and cooled at 68F. Sterilized my jar with chlorine for 20 min and stored at 68F, smack in the middle of the ideal temp provided by wyeast. Did have some activity but no krausen. Yeast has sedimented.

Now i'm boiling and i smelled the starter and it smells sour, a bit like vinegar. Is that normal? can i pitch?

i'm boiling so need an answer quickly!!!

thanks!

It might just be the belgian yeast. I made a starter from sedimant in a bottle of belgian beer and had a similar smell although wouldn't really say vinegar but definetly a bit sour. It was a Lambic blend. I figured it was just smelling the bret bacteria. I do plan on experimenting with it. Other than that I cant help you, belgians a new brew experience for me. My vote is pitch and see how it comes out. Otherwise keep it in your fridge until you find out and pitch your spare dry(you do have spare dry yeast don't you?).

Taste it.

It should taste like a flat, bland beer if it's a clean culture. The witbier yeast from wyeast is only yeast, no bacteria, so if it is funky then it's likely infected.

So far so good... It's been 18hrs in the primary and activity has begun. Lots of white foam. I smelled the airlock and it smells great. Quite like a beer would :rockin: I will keep this thread updated so that future brewers having vinegar starter smell problems can find an answer.

Back