Magic: The Gathering label

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StittsvilleJames

Reaction score
I got nostalgic today and started looking up old magic cards. Turns out that some of my old cards would be worth a furtune now, like the dual lands, and sol rings and what not.

Anyways, I decided after looking at some cards that I really like the look of them, and it dawned on me how cool some of them could be for beer labels.

Thus was born my new label style. The first offering is an American Barley wine I brewed yesterday.

zty6.jpg

Here's the other one I made.

I really think once I get a bunch of bottles actually labelled and in a sixer, it's going to look pretty cool. This one and the previous one are both in fermenters though.

ug1g.jpg

Another label. I actually ordered the ingredients for this today, just so I could make another label.

OK, that's not true, but I did order ingredients today (although it's because I wanted to brew again next weekend, not because I wanted to make a label).

It's a 5 gal. oatmeal stout, recipe is:
8 lbs 2-row
1 lb flaked oats
1/2 lb chocolate malt
5 oz crystal 120
3.5 oz roasted barley
3.5 oz black patent malt
mash at 152 for an hour

1 oz northern brewer 60 min
.5 oz fuggles 10 min

wlp002 english ale yeast
1 or 2 vanilla beans in secondary
might add some cocoa powder (2 - 3 oz) as well

Can't wait to drink it, it seems so good on paper. I hope the recipe holds up and there are no surprises.

6c4a.jpg

These are amazing, well done! I thought they were funny.

Thank you! They're kind of geeky, seems most people don't know what Magic the Gathering is, but my friends and I really enjoyed it when I was younger. Seems the game is still around too, so maybe I'll go buy some cards and teach my kids how to play.

Anyhoo, here is another label I just made. It's for a recipe based on Biermunchers OktoberFAST recipe, with some minor changes to use up stuff I already have stocked.

z53e.jpg

Very clever, I laughed out loud while reading. Does the color of the card correspond to something?

Very clever, I laughed out loud while reading. Does the color of the card correspond to something?

Not really. I made the wit a white card and stout a black card because that made sense, but I just picked cards I liked the art on. I suppose I should have had a master plan, but I'm not so good with the planning. :)

These are coool!!!!! I think you have a spin off here for a drinking game .. .

Props! Made me smile. I wish I knew what happened to my killer decks of cards. They just up and vanished one day. Me thinks the wife had a hand in this...:mad:

These are well done.

I played my fair share of Magic back in the day. I'm pretty sure all of my old cards are still in a box somewhere in my parents house. Maybe I should go dig them up to see if I have anything of value in there...

Epic... great idea.

And it's probably no coincidence that most of the labels are black. Waiting to taste the Rotlung Reanimator.....

Again, awesome!

Good looking labels! Never really got into Magic. I was a bit older when it was popular. BIL used to play with his tank battalion during training weekends. They also played Warhammer I think.

Maybe a few AD&D labels could be made up though.. Hmm...

If anyone has some old Magic: The Gathering cards sitting in their closet collecting dust, let me know, I might be interested. ;)

Of particular interest are any cards made before 1995.

kombat said:
If anyone has some old Magic: The Gathering cards sitting in their closet collecting dust, let me know, I might be interested. ;)

I might have those....

kombat said:

I have a handful of Revised, but that's the earliest. Does that qualify?

Yup. Got any dual lands? (Tundra, Taiga, Scrubland, Underground Sea, Tropical Island, Plateau, Savannah, Bayou, Volcanic Island, and I forget the Black/Red one)?

Oh my, if i can find out where they are in my house I've got a whole box of Alpha and Beta cards.
most are worth a ton of cash. Who knew 20 years ago?

Sold my whole collection years ago which included 20 original dual lands for 1750.00. That cash funded a couple new hobbies, one of which was start into home brewing. I'm with Homercidal, I think some AD&D themed labels or even some LotR themed labels would be a lot of fun.

Wow! I don't usually wave my inner geek around in public like this...

Oh my, if i can find out where they are in my house I've got a whole box of Alpha and Beta cards.
most are worth a ton of cash. Who knew 20 years ago?

If you need some incentive to start looking, a Beta Black Lotus is worth around $3,000 USD, depending on condition.

Moxes are at least $1,500 each, any dual land that can produce blue mana will sell for at least $500 each. And those are all Beta prices. Alpha would be worth more.

You could be sitting on a gold mine. Sell 'em while the market is hot.

That is way too cool. I am definitely going to steal your idea for one of my brews. :) Love the abilities. Did anyone play Unglued, this kind of reminded me of it. I stopped playing around Ice Age, but I still bought some Unglued for fun times, but no one would play it.
Image.ashx

Back