Finding a Local Honey Source

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howling_Moon_Woffie

Reaction score
Hi Everyone. It's good to see so many people into Mead making. Please forgive me if this is covered somewhere- search didn't give me love so I had to ask.

I have been a long time believer of keeping local money local so wanted to find local Source of honey. I've tried looking under Bee Keepers and Local Honey and all I keep getting is Bee Removal and "local" Honey from other States.

I'm in the Tampa Bay Area...anyone in the Area have a connection? Closest place I find is about 2 hours drive north.

Might anyone have advice to share on where to look?

Cheers,
Woffie

Farmers Market? Even if nobody is selling honey I would guess some vendor might know a bee keeper or two.

Follow the bees.

Kidding. Farmer's markets usually have a honey guy. Also, your LHBS might know of someone.

Being in florida you may have better luck than me. I did find cheap good raw honey, but I have a 2hr drive each way to get it. A honey farmer is called a "Apiary" try searching that.

Hi Everyone. It's good to see so many people into Mead making. Please forgive me if this is covered somewhere- search didn't give me love so I had to ask.

I have been a long time believer of keeping local money local so wanted to find local Source of honey. I've tried looking under Bee Keepers and Local Honey and all I keep getting is Bee Removal and "local" Honey from other States.

I'm in the Tampa Bay Area...anyone in the Area have a connection? Closest place I find is about 2 hours drive north.

Might anyone have advice to share on where to look?

Cheers,
Woffie

You might start here:
http://www.honeylocator.com/locator/find/
Regards, GF.

Look into housing your own bees if you have a yard. I've seen it done and ifs not so bad you can order the queen online.

There is a source in North Fort Myers with great Orange Blossom Honey -
Walker Farms
North Fort Myers, FL
I don't have a phone number, but being in Florida, I'm sure that you'll be able to find it.

Thanks for all the responses....but I already found a place and linked to them. I think it was page one on the last post.

As for Bee Keeping...um...it's another hobby that will be a time/money sink. I'd rather put the time into brewing Thanks :)

Best of luck to you in the Bee Keeping biz. There's been a lot of bad things happening to bees over the past couple years (Colony Collapse Syndrome), and there's not really any solution in sight. There's lots of other cool things you can use bees for, including using their stings to repair nerve damage and increase blood flow...just to name a few. I have a good friend who raises them all along the east coast, and its been a tough couple of years for him.

Back