Unfermented Wort for Drinking???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bad_Horse_Brews

Reaction score
Ok, stay with me. My Fiance is breastfeeding and can't drink beer. Hops helps with the production of breastmilk. I'm tired of spending 6 bucks a six-pack on non-alcoholic beer. So, what if I built a recipe around sweeter malts and added hops in so the flat wort had a reasonable taste to it. I'd rather spend six bucks for 3 gallons of somewhat the same thing. My question is this, any reason if you can create a reasonably well-flavored flat wort that it shouldn't be drank????

Just an idea to make use of my newest beer-making obsession to benefit her as well and save us some money on stupid fake beer.....

For the record, I am planning on keeping it refrigerated to minimize bacteria... though it just occurred to me that there would still be residual crap that would have to settle. What if you strained it real well after cooling post-boil???? Any thoughts here are welcome.

This is easy.

Make up your wort, hop it, add the required amount of potassium sorbate to inhibit yeast/bacteria/mold and force carbonate it.

Or, got to the international section of your grocery store and pick up a beverage called 'Vita-Malt' or 'Tiger Malt'

Same idea as yours, but for about 50 cents a bottle and they use crown caps, so you can save the bottle for later filling with real beer.

If you don't have a keg setup you could add yeast, bottle, and pasteurize it after a couple days to kill the yeast.

Can you elaborate?

The potassium sorbate is going to inhibit the growth of mold and yeast. This will prevent things from growing in your unfermented wort. That will prevent the build up of alcohol.

Campden tablets, which are sodium metabisulfite, will inhibit yeast from reproducing and pretty well inactivate them. Since sulfites will dissipate relatively quickly (think 12 to 24 hours for typical brewing applications), any yeast still left viable MAY start to ferment again.

The addition of some potassium sorbate will help to prevent this from happening, but is not likely to stop the yeast levels that could be present before the addition of the Campden tablets.

Think of the sulfites as being REactive - offing little buggers already there - and sorbate a as being PROactive - prevent little buggers from growing in the future.

This reminds me of the malt beverage Vita Malt you can find in the grocery store.

Also, I am sure you know this but just in case, the non-alcoholic beers do have a little alcohol in them (.9-1.2%).

vitamalt.jpg

Isn't Malto Goya the same thing as you are describing above? Unfermerted wort? I've seen it at the mexican grocery stores here in town and was told it makes a decent starter in a pinch!

I'm fairly sure it's the malted barley and not the hops that aid in lactation. Your wife can also eat barley soup if she isn't interested in that Vita-Malt stuff. Can't say I'd blame her. It's nasty.

She had your kid so spring for a good quality non-alc brew and be grateful for what you've been blessed with.

Ok, stay with me. My Fiance is breastfeeding and can't drink beer. Hops helps with the production of breastmilk. I'm tired of spending 6 bucks a six-pack on non-alcoholic beer. So, what if I built a recipe around sweeter malts and added hops in so the flat wort had a reasonable taste to it. I'd rather spend six bucks for 3 gallons of somewhat the same thing. My question is this, any reason if you can create a reasonably well-flavored flat wort that it shouldn't be drank????

Just an idea to make use of my newest beer-making obsession to benefit her as well and save us some money on stupid fake beer.....

For the record, I am planning on keeping it refrigerated to minimize bacteria... though it just occurred to me that there would still be residual crap that would have to settle. What if you strained it real well after cooling post-boil???? Any thoughts here are welcome.

Hello, ferment your beer, then boil it for a min, this will remove the alcohol, cool, add yeast and priming sugar or keg carb, problem solved.

Cheers :mug:

Former breastfeeding mom and La Leche League Leader here.

You can tell your fiancee that occasional light drinking (less than 2 drinks a day) is considered compatible with breastfeeding.

http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/lifestyle/alcohol/

http://www.lalecheleague.org/faq/alcohol.html

http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/meds.shtml#sthash.7DKkh70e.dpbs

If she doesn't want to drink alcohol, that's one thing, but it's a shame for her to think she can't just because she doesn't have accurate information.

cluckk said:
She had your kid so spring for a good quality non-alc brew and be grateful for what you've been blessed with.

Clearly you are missing the point here.... It's an excuse to brew some sort of a form of beer. ;)

Bad_Horse_Brews said:
Clearly you are missing the point here.... It's an excuse to brew some sort of a form of beer. ;)

Perhaps, but the post said he was tired of paying the amount for non-alc beer so he was considering this option because it might cost him half. The challenge of brewing something new is admirable, but if it is just to get out of psaying out for something the mother of his child likes then it's not. I say go for it on the new brew, but in the mean time stop by the store.

chicken said:
Former breastfeeding mom and La Leche League Leader here.

You can tell your fiancee that occasional light drinking (less than 2 drinks a day) is considered compatible with breastfeeding.

http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/lifestyle/alcohol/

http://www.lalecheleague.org/faq/alcohol.html

http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/meds.shtml#sthash.7DKkh70e.dpbs

If she doesn't want to drink alcohol, that's one thing, but it's a shame for her to think she can't just because she doesn't have accurate information.

Although some things are considered "compatible" that does not mean they are recommended. I'm a neuroscientist researching the effects if alcohol, not necessarily in infants more in adult human brain, but I can say there is nothing beneficial about infants consuming any amount of alcohol. The developing brain is very very sensitive to the effects if alcohol.
These "articles" even say to wait hours after consumption prior to breast feeding to allow for alcohol metabolism and elimination. I can almost guarantee you that in some years research will come out stating we underestimated the teratogenic effects of alcohol consumption in pregnant and feeding women.
No offense to anyone, it's just very scary to research something and then read about it on a beer brewing forum.

I think the point is more that you can safely breast feed after the alcohol has been processed

I'd consider freezing it and serving flat and warm/hot. I have a hard time sometimes getting the wort sample back inside to do a gravity check in my mini lab. Often drink too much on the way to have enough for the hydrometer to float!

Have her research 'pump and dump'... (basically, storing breast milk ahead of time then pumping out the alcohol milk). That will buy her a couple hours of worry-free beer-drinkin' time. Then you won't have to worry about ruining your beer with post-fermented boiling, or drinking super-sweet unfermented wort that tastes more-like soda-pop than beer.

I doubt beer really has any medicinal benefits for breastfeeding mothers that couldn't be had through supplements/vitamins. But I would use any excuse in the book to allow my own self to drink beer :)

Back