Krausen pushed the top off airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmarty1

Reaction score
This morning for the first time, 10 batches, I woke up to the Krausen overflowing my fermentation bucket from the airlock. Do I need worry about any infection since it was somewhat exposed overnight. I assume it was flowing the entire time and still was when I inserted a sanitized blow off tube into a bucket of water and star san.

I wouldn't worry for two reasons. One, there was a constant outflow of wort, so likely nothing for in. Two, worrying wont help - it is either infected or not and you will have to wait to see. Again, it is unlikely to be infected.

Blow out!!! WAY TO GO! That means you did something right haha.

You're fine. Co2 and Blow off material constantly coming out which means nothing could get in.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I figured I didn't have anything to worry about since the krausen was pushing out so thickly when I found it. I never used a blow off tube until now and for peace of mind I don't think I'll ever go without one again! Pretty excited about this robust porter, from the smell in the house the family thought i was baking cupcakes when I was brewing lol.

Blowoff just means you aerated your wort well, pitched a proper amount of yeast, and the beasties were very happy. Never heard of someone getting an infection from a blowoff that was caught within a half-day. Almost impossible.

Back