Looking to start cheesemaking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottyg354

Plant Based Homebrewer
Reaction score
Since I make homemade beer, wine, cider and mead and also have a decent garden, I figure this would be my next logical step. Any suggestions on good online shops to get a good starter kit? I like blue cheese, soft runny cheese and regular soft cheese.

I would suggest a book; I got Ricki Carrolls Home Cheesemaking. There is at least as much going on with cheesemaking as with brewing and trying to pick it up from a few recipe descriptions might not be enough for you. As for kits, most of the kits are kinda pointless. The one I got was just a mold, a thermometer, some rennet and a few cultures. You might as well just buy what you need. As for your cheese preferences, blue cheese and runny cheese are some of the more difficult ones. I'd suggest some soft cheeses first. A few weeks ago I made a soft cheese called gervais that turned out fantastic and was much easier then hard, runny, or moldy cheese.

I found a deal through Groupon or LivingSocial a month or so ago for a kit from Standing Stone Farms. It was some chemicals, cloth, and info/recipe booklet. I see a real book in my future. They are a goat farm in Tennessee. I made with first mozzarella today and am trying a traditional ricotta with the whey. They provided the baby step I needed.

image-1208979025.jpg

image-2861340860.jpg

Back