Black Chocolate Sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tugbucket

Reaction score
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: 3763 Roeselare Ale Blend
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.065 target, hit 1.060
Final Gravity: ?
IBU: 18
ABV: 6.3%(?)
SRM: 50 :D
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60min
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 8 months so far @ various ambient temps.
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): n/a
Tasting Notes: Tasted this for the first time on 11/17. Smells like a Jolly Pumpkin for the most part. Sweet with a little bite to the nose. You can get hints of chocolate in the nose. Taste is real tart and a little puckering. It quickly subsides and you can taste a malty sweetness and some of the chocolate. Starting to get to the La Folie end of the sour spectrum rather than Rodenbach end. It's not gentle. Wife isn't a fan (yet) but, this is a sour sour and that's what I wanted.

Recipe:
8 lbs Two-row
2 lbs Debittered Black
1 lb Carafa II
.33lbs Wheat Malt
.25 lbs Crystal 120L
.25 lbs. German Carafa Chocolate
.33 lbs Munich Dark
.50 lbs Flaked Oats
.33 lbs Flaked Barley

.75 oz Willamette @ 60min.
.25 Styrian Goldings @15min.

70% efficiency
Sacch rest at 154°F for 60min.

Pithced Roeselare with no starter. After a month I removed the airlock. Added a toasted oak dowel through the bung.

From 4.12 - 6.22 added dregs from Jolly Pumpkin Bam Beire, Magrugada Obscura, La Parcella and La Roja. I've read a few times to limit the different dregs to prevent weird flavors forming but thought, eh, it's all JP, go for it.

The summer temp in my house is about 84~ and so far the winter temp has been about 74~. All my glass carboys sit on a tile floor on a sheet of cardboard so they probably stay a little cooler as I don't have a foundation.

All the small additions were left overs from other recipes and the flaked oats and barley were added to hopefully give it some kind of head out of the bottle. We'll see.

I've only made up 5 recipes of my own so far out of the 14 brews brewed. This is my "original" first sour concoction and I'm loving the way its going so far.

I also have a really dark sour fermenting. It's incredible. I plan on splitting it and bottling half straight and blending the other half with a Belgian stout.

It should be fine.

I think all the JP beers see the same bugs, The first toss was all you needed.

Back