Caramel Apple Hard Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pwortiz said:
Man....what a difference 24 hours can make. I've been testing these bottles every day since Friday night when I bottled. Last night there was very little carbonation....Today however I popped one open a little early for my wife because I saw some bubbles going on in the bottles. The thing wouldn't stop fizzing. But, as soon as it "fizzed out" the beverage itself actually had very little carbonation. Either way, I decided upon an emergency pasteurization. I pulled out my outdoor burner and larger pot and I'm glad I did now as I had one blow up right next to my feet as I was setting them down on the ground to cool off (first batch out of the pot). Luck was with me - the bottle halves went either side of me.

I'm going to call this the summer of bottle bombs as this is my third batch (different stuff each time) that has had some type of carb issues. Out to pull the next batch out of the pot....

Just be careful when removing the bottles after pasteurising them. Try warming the surface you are placing the bottles on. The sudden change from hot to cold may cause temperature shock in the glass.
I know I've read reports of people having problems with this. I think they either used a towel or something for a few minutes to lessen the temperature difference while they were cooling.

Okay, so I am really new to this whole thing... two quick questions as I can not find the answer by searching. First, I only have a 5 gallon carboy, will it mess up my cider if I make a 2.5 gallon batch in it (by cutting the ingredients in half)? And secondly, how hard is it to cut the Nottingham yeast in half? Can I buy a half batch of it?

Thanks for your help!

@ Smegger- yeah, I had thought about that. Because I had it outside in 90 degree weather, I just picked a shady spot and put them on the grass. Kept them outta the sun though for the remainder of the afternoon as I put my cider in clear bottles usually.

@Janson - don't worry about using a full pack of the notty. I actually did my first batch as a 2.5 gallon batch and ended up pitching entire pack. No issues to report and I really liked it! As far as the 5 gallon batch...how about try for 4 instead of just half. Or do a 3/4 batch instead of a half - then you'll be just fine and the calculations aren't that bad? Just a thought.

I use an old wood cutting board to put jars from the pressure canner on. You can see them still boiling in the jar when they are removed. Never broke one yet. Just keep them out of any drafts. Should work fine for bottles as they are much cooler.

My batch finished out on the weekend and I tasted it for the first time yesterday, I only added 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon to my 2.25 gal batch (equal ratio would be .8 tsp.) and I found it to be to much of a cinnamon flavor. Also was 1st time using Nottingham yeast, and it worked wonders. Was clear straight from the primary. Definatly not going back the the cheapo bread yeast I used on my last batch. I think the first batch may have finally cleared in the bottles now.

Sheriff Nottingham is still going strong two days later. The color is more milky than with the montrachet.

ForumRunner_20120808_084003.jpg

Okay, so I am really new to this whole thing... two quick questions as I can not find the answer by searching. First, I only have a 5 gallon carboy, will it mess up my cider if I make a 2.5 gallon batch in it (by cutting the ingredients in half)? And secondly, how hard is it to cut the Nottingham yeast in half? Can I buy a half batch of it?

Thanks for your help!

I would make original recipe with a slight change........Start your batch with 4 gallons juice so you have enough head space for active fermentation. After 5-7 days when fermentation begins to slow, add the other gallon. You may want to add on 5 days or so before the backsweetening stage.

Since I'm currently living in the hometown of Johnny Appleseed, I would love to use local fresh (but pasteurized) cider instead of the Apple juice as the initial "wort"

Do you guys know if this recipe will still work the same?

Thanks!

Since I'm currently living in the hometown of Johnny Appleseed, I would love to use local fresh (but pasteurized) cider instead of the Apple juice as the initial "wort"

Do you guys know if this recipe will still work the same?

Thanks!

The recipe will work the same but the taste will be different MOST LIKELY because of the spices used sometimes in cider. If it's just pressed apple juice it'll take on the characteristics of those apples and taste.

Basically, not much to worry about. I don't think any of us have used the same juice as upstatemike's original recipe.

My batch finished out on the weekend and I tasted it for the first time yesterday, I only added 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon to my 2.25 gal batch (equal ratio would be .8 tsp.) and I found it to be to much of a cinnamon flavor. Also was 1st time using Nottingham yeast, and it worked wonders. Was clear straight from the primary. Definatly not going back the the cheapo bread yeast I used on my last batch. I think the first batch may have finally cleared in the bottles now.

So, to my surprise it isnt bottle carbing, and after reading a few more posts I found that nottingham sometimes stops frementing after racking. Now, I would be fine with this, but it tastes much too sweet for me and my friends. I guess I will wait longer for it to carb up, as there is a pfft when I open the bottles. It is just taking longer then I thought it would.

So, to my surprise it isnt bottle carbing, and after reading a few more posts I found that nottingham sometimes stops frementing after racking. Now, I would be fine with this, but it tastes much too sweet for me and my friends. I guess I will wait longer for it to carb up, as there is a pfft when I open the bottles. It is just taking longer then I thought it would.

BE CAREFUL. Mine had the exact same issue at day 3 and into day 4. Then, by the end of day 4 I ended up with a bottle bomb and all were super carbed. I have no idea how it went from 0-60 that fast. Open another one tonight just in case and do it daily until you get your preferred level of carb.

Did you use nottingham too? This is the first time of me using it, so I am not too sure of how it will act. I kinda want to wait a bit though cause it is terribly sweet, I guess I could taste and then re cap if it is really bad. I think next time I'll let it frement more out, I prefer a dry cider but wanted to try making a sweet one (for the girls)

Yup, I also used the Notty. Mine went from 1.058 to 1.012 in 15 days. What were your readings? It was my first as well (the half batch I made). This was my first FULL batch and I agree it's sweet, but I have some residual tartness too.

Did you use all 5 cans of the concentrate? Maybe you could cut back on those in the future...add 2, taste....add 3rd, taste, etc.

OG was 1.06 and FG was 1.01 in 10 days for my 2.25 gal batch. Didnt measure SG after I added the caramel mix, and I guess I missed reading about the concentrate cause I didnt add any of that. But for the caramel I added 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup water and 1/2 tsp. cinnamon (recipe equivelant would be .8 instead of .5 of each, cause I knew I didnt want it to be too sweet) with an SG of probably like 1.015 I dont think I need to worry too much about bottle bombs.

My first batch (2.5) I did measure the SG after adding all the sugar: "There was a question about measuring the SG after adding the syrup and the juice cans. I measured and, at 68 deg it was ~ 1.023. My FG was 1.010 when I racked to the secondary yesterday. But, I had a half batch, I used SLIGHTLY less dextrose and instead of 2.5 cans of juice concentrate, I used just 2."

I posted that somewhere in here. Not sure how close you would have been to those mearsurements.

Dang, having some problems with my batch, added the caramel at 1.01, and deemed it too sweet 2 days ago. Now after a week of bottle carbing, I got gushers. Time to bottle pasturize and hopefully not explode too many bottles

ah, good, so you were able to pasteurize everything OK? I've noticed a slight "tartening" as this ages - at least in my first batch. It continued to get better and better for me. This time, as a full batch, I'll have more time to "age" them. I went through this stuff FAST from the first batch.

New brewer here, looking to start out in making this recipe. I have one question about what bottles to use. I have acces to several bars in my area, but not many guiness drinkers in the area. I'm thinking of using old Heineken bottles and re capping them. Thoughts?

As I am so new this, and money is kinda tight right now, looking to try this out in one gallon carboys first. So would using one fifth of the original recipe work? Sorry if this question is stupid, just don't want to screw this up!

Welcome snort! Generally any bottles you clean and sanitized can be used. I'm not sure how much argument there may be on here regarding the COLOR of bottles though. Heineken is green if I remember right. Most often, you'll want to use the amber ones if you can get them. My personal favorite to use is Sam Adams because they use the style that caps the easiest in my experience - look at the rim of the bottle to note the differences.

Good luck!

Green is bad for beer because it let's UV light in which will create sulfury compounds when it reacts with hops. Since cider has no hops then green or even clear bottles are just fine.

As I am so new this, and money is kinda tight right now, looking to try this out in one gallon carboys first. So would using one fifth of the original recipe work? Sorry if this question is stupid, just don't want to screw this up!

Yep. One fifth of every thing except the yeast. Use half the package. You can,t save the yeast after it's been opened very long any way.

snortwheeze said:
New brewer here, looking to start out in making this recipe. I have one question about what bottles to use. I have acces to several bars in my area, but not many guiness drinkers in the area. I'm thinking of using old Heineken bottles and re capping them. Thoughts?

Don't think the bottles matter. They just need to be cap bottles and not twist offs.

If your getting recycle bottles from the local pub try and get the grolsch bottles that have the swing tops... Replacement rubbers are like .25 each and last 4 or 5 uses...

Ok yet another question. I have access to plenty of 5 gallon food grade (yogurt) buckets. Assuming I clean and sanitize well, is there any reason not to use my food grade bucket for a primary and then rack to a clear carboy for seconday/clearing. I assume there would be no problem using another bucket with a spigot added for bottling after the secondary. Just looking to save some costs. Also I have access to all the sanitizing solution I want. Wondering if it would be ok to use for brewing. The active ingredients are hydrochloride in one and another hydrochloride something or other in the second( will post the exact percentages tomorrow). Thoughts?

Also getting the grolsch bottles are not an option, but because I live in Wisconsin, I have all the free, re capable bottles I want! We have so many micro brews around I feel I need to "join the club" lol!

Should be good on the buckets, just clean well, sanitizer is sanitizer, just follow food prep guidelines and contact times...

Sounds like you are on the right track, let us know how the cider brew day goes for ya :)

I am looking to do this in time for halloween...

I'll be caramelling and bottling next week. Any suggestions on how long after bottling/pasteurization to wait before it's good to drink?

it's good "immediately" but continues to get better with a bit of time. plan for the standard 3 weeks but don't be worried about having one here and there before then :)

Very interested in giving this a try. The apfelwein was hit and miss with the ladies, a bit too dry for some. Liquid apple pie sounds like just the ticket. Anybody that has had both have any thoughts on the difference?

pwortiz said:
If you read Upstatemike's original post/page you'll see that he won the "booby prize"......I haven't seen that on any Apfelwein post. Just sayin'. :D

I saw that, but one set of ta ta's isn't definitive. :)

For the contest next March, I will insist on panties as payment for bottles of cider. That way I can honestly say I have a batch of liquid panty remover. :D

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA.....I CAN'T STOP LAUGHING.....(could be the 3 Carmel Apples I've had...)

Mike, cheers to you sir. I hope it works out for ya :) :mug:

I really want to make this - it sounds amazing! I've been reading through a lot of cider threads and many mention using frozen concentrate. I've not seen this in the supermarket here in Australia - is there an alternative?

Latest posts

Back