Another score for the home team.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got a crapload of new beers to try today.....went to World Market and they had a few newer selections from the last time I visited, so I thought I'd go for some of them.

1. Rogue Mocha Porter
2. Pyramid Apricot Hefe

Also bought an "American Microbrews" sampler. Just one of those goofy samplers that has 1 bottle of a few different american microbrews. Usually 2 or 3 of them catch my eye, in this case it is 5 or 6 of them...anyway, it has these in it:

1. Breckenridge Oatmeal Stout
2. Firestone Double barrel Ale (Supposedly brewed and fermented in oak barrels?)
3. Rogue Brutal Bitter
4. Flying Dog Snake Dog IPA (had it before, wanna try it again....)
5. Iron City Premium Lager (yechhhhh...)
6. Backfin Pale Ale (Clay Pipe Brewing Co.)
7. MacTarnahan's Black watch Cream Porter
8. Geary's Pale Ale
9. Spanish Peaks Black Dog Ale
10. Newport Amber

Also have a Genessee Cream Ale and a Robert the Bruce to try tonight. If I get to them all..... :D

ORRELSE said:
I got a crapload of new beers to try today.....went to World Market and they had a few newer selections from the last time I visited, so I thought I'd go for some of them.

1. Rogue Mocha Porter
2. Pyramid Apricot Hefe

Also bought an "American Microbrews" sampler. Just one of those goofy samplers that has 1 bottle of a few different american microbrews. Usually 2 or 3 of them catch my eye, in this case it is 5 or 6 of them...anyway, it has these in it:

2. Firestone Double barrel Ale (Supposedly brewed and fermented in oak barrels?)
3. Rogue Brutal Bitter
8. Geary's Pale Ale
10. Newport Amber

Also have a Genessee Cream Ale and a Robert the Bruce to try tonight. If I get to them all..... :D

Im going to be making there pumpkin ale that they had there at world market, but with a little more pumpkin.

You could throw some oak chips into the fermenter to try to copy that firestone double barrel.

Nice... Rogue Brutal Bitter is one of my favorites... Snake Dog is just a fantastic IPA... was that a Newport Storm Amber?

Oriondriver

ORRELSE said:

1. Rogue Mocha Porter
2. Pyramid Apricot Hefe

3. Rogue Brutal Bitter
8. Geary's Pale Ale
10. Newport Amber
they just open a World Market here in town too. some nice beers to oggle when shopping w/ the wife :D
i like the Pyramid Apri-Hefe, the Black Watch Cream Porter, Snake Dog IPA. i've read about the Firestone Double Barrel ale. sounds and looks awesome. i think BYO had a clone recipe a while back......
nice selection :cross:

DeRoux's Broux said:
they just open a World Market here in town too. some nice beers to oggle when shopping w/ the wife :D
i like the Pyramid Apri-Hefe, the Black Watch Cream Porter, Snake Dog IPA. i've read about the Firestone Double Barrel ale. sounds and looks awesome. i think BYO had a clone recipe a while back......
nice selection :cross:

I never got around to trying any of them last night. The wife scheduled dinner with the mother-in-law at a Japanese steak house. I had 2 Coronas. Yecchhh. Came home and couldn't stomach any more beer. :mad:

ORRELSE said:
I never got around to trying any of them last night. The wife scheduled dinner with the mother-in-law at a Japanese steak house. I had 2 Coronas. Yecchhh. Came home and couldn't stomach any more beer. :mad:
he! funny, we went out w/ my parents last night for the same thing. i opted for hot green tea :D

I have always found a good selection at the world marked by my house. One beer that I have never been able to find anywhere else is Buffalo Bills Orange Blossom Ale. My wife absolutely loves this stuff? Anyone tried this. For a fruit beer, it blows Pyramid Apricot Heffe out of the water...IMHO. Anyone seen a clone for this?

I also did not like the pumkin ale. IMHO, the new Blue Moon Pumkin Ale is excellent but hard to find.

my dad p/u a sixer of the pumpkin ale. it's very lonely in the fridge w/ the Hopr Rod Rye, Racer 5, ruination ipa, and Shiner Bock. probably beer there until next Thanksgiving!

Beaumont. they have one on Richmond right by the 610 loop, and another on the katy freeway (i think near the beltway?). i still prefer Spec's downtown or Central Market.

Got to try some of the brews this evening....

1. Genessee Cream Ale-Very surprised at this one. Damn good. Kind of boring but I could drink this if it was a hot summer day, that's for sure.
2. Pyramid Apricot Wheat-Pretty stinking good. The aroma is VERY strong peach/apricot, and the first few sips are what I would say a rotten fruit character. However, once it warmed up a little bit, it was more enjoyable. I'm REALLY glad I got to try this--I'm probably going to brew somethig very similar to this for the summer. I'll definitely buy this beer again though.
3. Rogue Mocha Porter- Guys, I don't understand the love affair a lot of people have with Rogue. This is an ordinary porter to me, nothign groundbreaking. It is drinkable but something in those beers doesn't sit right with me. Can't put my finger on it.

Haven't tried the others yet. "Partial review" part deux coming soon to a thread near you. :)

ORRELSE said:
IAlso bought an "American Microbrews" sampler. Just one of those goofy samplers that has 1 bottle of a few different american microbrews. Usually 2 or 3 of them catch my eye, in this case it is 5 or 6 of them...anyway, it has these in it:

3. Rogue Brutal Bitter
8. Geary's Pale Ale
10. Newport Amber

My thoughts on some of these, now that I've tried some of them....

1. Breckenridge Oatmeal Stout--One of the best oatmeal stouts I've ever had. Could have used more body but it tasted awesome. If the one I have in the fermenter right now is anywhere close to this, I'll be a happy camper!

2. Firestone Double barrel Ale (Supposedly brewed and fermented in oak barrels?)--This is an interesting brew. It definitely had a "different" taste, for sure. I'd say it was an amber in style but the oak barrel came through. It was good.

3. Flying Dog Snake Dog IPA (had it before, wanna try it again....)--Still a damn good IPA. I've had some better ones though....

4. Backfin Pale Ale (Clay Pipe Brewing Co.)--Pretty good american pale ale. Better than SN, really smooth bitterness and a GREAT example of the style. I'd buy more of this.

5. MacTarnahan's Black Watch Cream Porter--This was GREAT. Imagine a sweet stout without the thick body. The sweetness is a perfect balance IMHO, as I think most of the sweet stouts are TOO sweet. This had a hint of it which was outstanding.

ORRELSE said:
2. Pyramid Apricot Wheat-Pretty stinking good. The aroma is VERY strong peach/apricot, and the first few sips are what I would say a rotten fruit character. However, once it warmed up a little bit, it was more enjoyable. I'm REALLY glad I got to try this--I'm probably going to brew somethig very similar to this for the summer. I'll definitely buy this beer again though.

This beer is good but borders on being too sweet to me. I can only drink one or two before the apricot starts to overpower my tastebuds.

One time in college we had a "fancy" party where we bought a couple pallets of that stuff. The chicks could drink it all night but after a few I had to run to 7-11 to get some regular beer.

AllHoppedUp said:
This beer is good but borders on being too sweet to me. I can only drink one or two before the apricot starts to overpower my tastebuds.

One time in college we had a "fancy" party where we bought a couple pallets of that stuff. The chicks could drink it all night but after a few I had to run to 7-11 to get some regular beer.

I can definitley see that happening.

However, this summer I'd like to brew somethign like this--just give it a hint of apricot or peach. I'll probably use extract and forget about trying to use real fruit.

and see, i think the fresh fruit in the boil gives a better, subtle flavor than the extracts and puree's. they're too harsh and have a procesed taste....

Back