'Vintage' Cappers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anonon2

Reaction score
Since it's sometimes easy to think that older things were made better than many modern products, I've started to consider a 'vintage' capper. I'm kind of done with the wing capper and have found that there are all cast iron vintage cappers available on ebay for around the same as a Super Agata or Colonna.

Thoughts?

Nothing wrong with the old stuff. I prefer the rusty stamped steel bench capper I got from an old homebrewer who listed a grab bag of stuff on Craigslist. I might have paid $5, if anything at all (the guy just kept pulling stuff out of the basement and saying "here you go, I don't need this either!")

The ubiquitous plastic wing cappers have a nice pressing action to them but having to use two hands on the tool is annoying. The "vintage" single action bench cappers may take a little more oomph to crimp the cap but they're easier to load because you can lower the press with one hand while holding the bottle with the other hand.

Mine does. It's probably from the mid-'70s or so, based on the age of all the other stuff I got in the deal.

Mine does not. I just put the cap on top of the bottle, then press it on.

Back