Have some Malto-Dextrin, what do I do with it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zymurgrafi

Reaction score
Well, I won a bag of malto-dextrin as a part of my prize package from the homebrew competition I entered. It is not something I ever even thought about buying but I have it so I guess I will use it. From what I understand it is something to be added to extract brews for added body. Is it of any use in AG? Maybe for a maltier type beer?

I suppose a stout would be good so maybe I will save it for the next time I make my oatmeal stout. Or, I am about to brew a scottish 80/ ale. Should I add it to that?

Do you add it to the boil or add it later like bottling time. It does not ferment yes? no?

Thanks for your suggestions. :mug:

MD is flexible, but not fermentable.

You can use it in the boil, racking to the secondary, or add it in with the priming sugar at bottling time if you think that your brew tastes too thin.

Some recipes call for 4 oz and such, but it really depends on the type of brew and how it tastes to you.

So you have 2 choices: add it per a recipe or prior to bottling to up the body (mouthfeel). ;)

A word of warning: I used a recipe that recommended 4 oz and...if you use too much you'll notice that any floaties (yeast particles) in the brew will not move. A lot like they are suspended inside jello.

I haven't used it in several years, but the second time I did I only used 1 oz, or was it a .5 oz??

homebrewer_99 said:
A word of warning: I used a recipe that recommended 4 oz and...if you use too much you'll notice that any floaties (yeast particles) in the brew will not move. A lot like they are suspended inside jello.

So, you end up with REALLY chunky beer? :confused:

It's not going to give you any flavor, so don't think of it as adding to "maltiness." If you see a recipe with carapils, you could probably use some of the MD in its place (since carapils basically just gives you additional dextrines for mouthfeel). Generally with AG brews, though, if you want more mouthfeel you just mash higher. I'd either keep it around in case you get a batch that seems too thin at bottling (maybe you missed the mash temps, got them too low).

the_bird said:
...keep it around in case you get a batch that seems too thin at bottling (maybe you missed the mash temps, got them too low).

Sounds good. Thanks. So boil with the priming sugar then?

knights of Gambrinus said:
Sounds good. Thanks. So boil with the priming sugar then?

You know, it does have a Potential SG value. I use MD in my recipes all the time...anytime I want to add body and mouthfeel without addng sweetness. You could add it at bottling, or you could account for it in your recipe and add it to the boil---which is what I usually do. Unless you're one of them dudes that gets hung up on the AG purity issue.

Back