Maximum Oat Percentage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

November

...relax...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am trying to plan out a beer with a very high percentage of oats. The big question is how high of a percentage can I go and still get conversion? I am looking to use Northwest Pale 2-row which I believe has a diastic power of 125l and pregelatinized oat flakes. Thanks.

I am trying to plan out a beer with a very high percentage of oats. The big question is how high of a percentage can I go and still get conversion? I am looking to use Northwest Pale 2-row which I believe has a diastic power of 125l and pregelatinized oat flakes. Thanks.

Are you using oat malt or oat flakes? I'd say you could go up to 30% oat flakes.

I am going to use oat flakes. I was hoping to get to 45 or 50 percent but I didn't want to go out and get 6-row and would rather use the 2-row I have on hand. I guess 30 will have to be good enough. Thanks.

I am going to use oat flakes. I was hoping to get to 45 or 50 percent but I didn't want to go out and get 6-row and would rather use the 2-row I have on hand. I guess 30 will have to be good enough. Thanks.

You could possibly go higher- if you have some iodine, and can test for conversion, and you're willing to take a few risks, you could push it to 40%. I never have, so I'm no expert on that!

Latest posts

Back