My mash paddle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hannable1975

Reaction score
Money is a little tight this holiday, so I made alot of christmas gifts - beer, birdhouses and such. I had an oak blank left over and decidided to make me a mash paddle.

Materials:

1x4 oak blank

Tools
Pencil - draw out what you want on the blank-
Jig Saw - cut out rough design
Hole Saws and drill - I went with 1 3/8 and 3/4 for a random "bubble" pattern
Router - to round handle for comfort
Sandpaper - Used 100 grit and then followed with 320 for a satin finish

Pics to follow

The blank

pad1.jpg

I'm debating getting a woodburner and burning a check mark in the handle every time I brew with it....

Looks great! Same basic shape that I used, but cool idea with circles inside. You should consider sealing it. I bought some mineral oil from walgreens and saturated the whole thing. Should protect it for awhile.

I like the look. Kind of reminds me of beer bubbles...

You know, I have a band saw at work, and a router and drill press at home...

Band saw no help unless you've found a magic method of cutting it and reattaching it so you can feed it into the holes :p

I used a scroll saw on mine for precisely that reason.

Band saw no help unless you've found a magic method of cutting it and reattaching it so you can feed it into the holes :p

I used a scroll saw on mine for precisely that reason.

I'd love to have a scroll saw - just not made that plunge yet. I guess a skilled person with a drill and a jigsaw could do a nifty job - I just went with the bubbles cause my skills are limited :)

You can get a Ryobi scroll saw for 100 bucks at the big Orange Depot... I had a handful of projects in the queue that would have been mad much more simple with the scroll saw, so I bought it.... meh. My time is worth more to me than 100 bucks if it saves me many hours...

I think he meant the bandsaw for the rough shape and drill press for the holes...

Yep. I would like a scroll saw, but I have a few basic tools and really need a cabinet saw in order to get back into woodworking. Brewing and my 68 Mustang sort of derailed my woodworking hobby.

The drilled holes look neat. I really can't do too much more than that unless I freehand with the router and that could be difficult in that much wood. Or, I DO have a hand held scroll saw...

Your Paddle was really great. Thanks for posting the pics.

And the idea of different dowels for the different sized pots is exactly what I should do. Thanks again gents.

So, I decided that every time it gets used, It got an "X".

And I added the initials of each person who brewed with me.

The "SS" stands for Spring Summit - one of my parties, where we brewed a beer to be served at the Fall Summit.

SD311 refers to a friend who died = I brewed a batch in his honor to be given to his brother later in the year.

Oh - and the last "X" - thats for the batch I am brewing right now as I post!:ban:

IMG00469-20110402-1241.jpg

IMG00470-20110402-1241.jpg

IMG00471-20110402-1241.jpg

IMG00472-20110402-1242.jpg

Instead of woodburning the marks into the paddle, I went with about an 1/8 inch cut with a circular saw. I may burn the inside of the cuts just for character. I'm also going to mark the sides with gallon measurements for a 5 and 6 gallon carboy so I can adjust my priming sugar amounts due to loss after fermentation. I like having one tool for many jobs.

Back