Boil Over Control?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mot

Reaction score
I got his stuff from my local HBS when I bought my first kit the other weekend.
It is Foam Control to help reduce boil overs..I asked the guys if it actually worked or is it just a stupid gimmic.
They said a few drops in your wort during the boil will almost instantly stop any boilover from happening. Anyone ever used this stuff before?

I use a spray bottle full of water. Lots of guys use that method here. Once you have the bottle, it's free!

rdwj said:
I use a spray bottle full of water. Lots of guys use that method here. Once you have the bottle, it's free!

THis stuff was really cheap...I think it was like $1.50 for the bottle, they said it lasts about a year or so depending on how much brewing you do

orfy said:
Worth a go. But I think I'd like to know what goes in my beer!
What is it?

Im at work, but I called my wife and asked her to look at the label and alls it said was Foam Control. I will have to look more into it when I get home. I looked on there website and they didnt have it on there but when I bought it they said they havent had it in that long so I am assuming it is something fairly new
Thats the only thing I am worried about to is it adding some off flavors or something, the guys at the shop said it doesnt produce any off flavors so I will check it out next weekend when i brew for the first time

mot said:
Im at work, but I called my wife and asked her to look at the label and alls it said was Foam Control. I will have to look more into it when I get home. I looked on there website and they didnt have it on there but when I bought it they said they havent had it in that long so I am assuming it is something fairly new
Thats the only thing I am worried about to is it adding some off flavors or something, the guys at the shop said it doesnt produce any off flavors so I will check it out next weekend when i brew for the first time

But they want to sell it.
It has been around for a while. To tell you truth I would be really dubious about the quality of a product that is used in a "Food" environment that does not have contents listed.

Oil will stop foaming but I wouldn't want to put it in the beer,

It will probably be fine and dandy but I'm a cynical bastard.

spray bottle of water or simply lifting the pot a bit if it looks like i MIGHT boil over is just as effective and a lot cheeper. I would also have concerns about what that stuff my do for head retention

yah I will have to take a look at the bottle when i get home and read whats all in it on the label.
I though for a buck I would give it a shot

I always forget that a boil over can happen. The sudden shock of my beer starting to pour over the top of my bucket, then having to grab my jacket or rip my shirt off real quick and lift it off my burner adds an extra level to the brewing experience :D

Not certain if this is the same product.

Fermcap S
Is a unique emulsion of an extremely effective surface active agent Dimethylpolysiloxane which prevents foam formation by reducing surface tension. It is used to control foam in kettle and during fermentation. It is completely removed from the beer after fermentation by the yeast and filtration. As a result of preserving hydrophobic beer proteins in solution it actually improves beer foam retention in the finished beer.

Here is a link to Brewers Supply Group, where you can find all the information you need about the foam control drops, aka Fermcap S made by Kerry Bio-Science. You will find the MSDS, product info and application info.

FWIW, I use it all the time. In the boil, starters, fermenters, you name it. I've been using it for years. No head retention problems that I've noticed.

Back