Keg identification

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theguy

Reaction score
Being new to kegging, I am trying to purchase some parts (Liquid Ball Lock disconnect) for my Corny keg, but am not sure how to tell what type of keg I have (Type A, Type B, Type C, etc). Looking at the keg, I didn't see any identification markings that indicate the type. Is there a stardard "Type" associated with Corny kegs? Thanks in advance.

there are pin and ball. that's it for the disconnects on cornies.

If you need more specific parts you need to look for an embossed descirptor or check the underside of bottom rubber chime for the brand.

there are pin and ball. that's it for the disconnects on cornies.

If you need more specific parts you need to look for an embossed descirptor or check the underside of bottom rubber chime for the brand.

What is the difference between the pin and ball disconnect, and which one is better?

It's to do with the post design. They aren't interchangeable. One fits like a aircompressor fitting the other has pins and a sleeve that lock into place. Neither one is better than the other lest you can't locate parts. never had that problem. Some do tho'.

This shows "some" of the variation on keg replacement parts:
http://hbd.org/carboy/ballkegclean.htm

I haven't yet found a site that can translate the actual keg part numbers to keg types, however. I have Firestone pin lock kegs, for example, but "which" Firestone it is(Challenger, V and VI Challenger, Super Challenger, A, R) I don't exactly know. But my local homebrew shop has a box of parts, so if I need a replacement poppet, for example, I can just bring one in and compare.
NorthernBrewer has a lot of different keg posts and the like. Just google "cornelius keg posts" or some such and you will likely find other vendors that will list keg brands and keg posts.

Except for the poppets and keg posts, which are "refurbishing" parts, the main type differences are coke(pin lock) or pepsi(ball lock). This is just the style of quick disconnect to use for your gas and beverage lines. Most people try to keep all ball lock or all pin lock, so it's easier to switch out kegs.

Just to clarify, the DISCONNECTS are either ball or pin, (the plastic bit that is connected to hose). The POSTS are either pin or ball type A, ball type B, or ball type C, (I don't know if there are different pin types).

pin lock post:
pinlock_coke_post.jpg

ball lock post:
Corneilus.jpg

Types of ball lock posts are in the PDF above posted by RichBenn.

Pin lock disconnect:
Quick%20Disonnects%20-%20Pin%20Lock.jpg

Ball lock disconnect, (fits type A, B, and C):
tn2_large_balllock-beerout091709235813.jpg

tn2_large_balllock-gasin091709235547.jpg

Curious. when you buy your kegs through suppliers (brew shops, keg shops) are the embossed markings removed?

All of mine have the identifying marks on them. Got all mine from scrap yards.

With three ball lock fittings and proper poppets for them... They will all work with ball locks fittings regardless of the exact type?

So I am assuming that all I need to make sure I have the correct poppet for the correct ball lock fitting. Right?

I pulled together a image last night to help with my question, and most of it is answered in this thread and Mike Dixon's Cleaning and Rebuilding Ball Lock Kegs that was posted earlier in this thread.

Never rebuilt kegs before. So here is my question. I pulled six posts, removed the poppets in them and let them soak a bit. Once clean I looked at them more much more closely. I did not pay attention to them when I pulled them apart. I ended up with 4/2 posts and 4//2 poppets (see image).

Looking at my image, would I be correct to assume that the "Type C" poppet is for the two posts the with the "gnarled" bottom?

Lastly, are the kegs threaded stems all the same? So that I could convert them so that I have all the same fittings and poppets?

Thanks.
/tg

With three ball lock fittings and proper poppets for them... They will all work with ball locks fittings regardless of the exact type?

So I am assuming that all I need to make sure I have the correct poppet for the correct ball lock fitting. Right?
/tg
Yes

I pulled together a image last night to help with my question, and most of it is answered in this thread and Mike Dixon's Cleaning and Rebuilding Ball Lock Kegs that was posted earlier in this thread.

Never rebuilt kegs before. So here is my question. I pulled six posts, removed the poppets in them and let them soak a bit. Once clean I looked at them more much more closely. I did not pay attention to them when I pulled them apart. I ended up with 4/2 posts and 4//2 poppets (see image).

Looking at my image, would I be correct to assume that the "Type C" poppet is for the two posts the with the "gnarled" bottom?
/tg
Unfortunately, I can't help on this one. Kegs rebuilt can have the wrong poppits for the post. I'd send these pictures to someone who sells poppits, like Northern Brewer, or ChiCompany.
Lastly, are the kegs threaded stems all the same? So that I could convert them so that I have all the same fittings and poppets?
/tg
I wouldn't bother converting them if they hold pressure. Cheaper to trade, if you "really" want all your posts the same. Plus the thread sizes may be different - did you check? For example:

Firestone V Challenger, Firestone VI Challenger, Firestone Super Challenger
Gas 9/16"-18
Liquid 5/8" -18

Cornelius Spartan & Super Champion
Gas 19/32" - 18
Liquid 19/32" - 18

John Wood 85, Firestone Challenger
Gas 11/16" - 18
Liquid 3/4" - 18

Plus all ball lock fittings work with any of these, so my advice is RDWHAHB!

Rich

Back