Highland Brewing Co. Asheville NC, Brewery Tour!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

histo320

Reaction score
Yesterday I had the pleasure of going on a tour of a craft brewery here in Asheville, Highland Brewing Co. I even ran into to a few HBT'ers while I was there.

Pretty neat little tour, tasted a beer, learned about the malts, tasted another beer, learned about the lautering and boil, tasted another beer, went down fermenters row and learned about the fermentation, tasted another beer, saw the bottling packaging area, tasted another beer.

They have a local brewing contests every year and will make large batches of the winners beer, and sell them in the brewery so I think I may try and enter it this year. The winner last year also won a few Sam Adams medals. I'm not counting on winning.

I bought an Imperial Stout (9.5 abv), which they do not sell due to an old NC law where beer can not be over 6.0% abv, but has since been repealed, but they still do not sell in stores due to thier distributer.

To all who visit Asheville defintely take this tour, totally free, and is a great stop along the infamous Brews Cruise, where you stop at 5 or 6 local brewerys.

wow, that sounds like fun. i'm about an hour and a half away east of asheville down i-40. haven't been to the highland brewery yet. got my start homebrewing from asheville brewing supply on marimon. visited the pizza/brewery close to there. the imperial stout sounds good. i am close to hickory, and their hickory stick stout (russian imperial) is awesome. you can get a mini-keg at the restaurant up-town. i'd like to hear more on the "brews cruise" what are all the brewery's in that area? i've heard of pisqua, but never was able to find it.

I've got a great poster from them that I've got to get framed and hung...Never had the beers though :(

10.jpg

that's a great poster. i know what you mean kilted brewer about the dogs. i have a couple of hound dogs that are like our children. if i had a brewery it would be called "hound dog brewing".

The Brews Cruise is pretty cool, i haven't been on it but you have a DD, (a bus driver).

You start at Asheville Pizza and Brewing Co., (Ninja Stout is amazing), French Broad River Brewing, Greenman Brewing, Highland Brewing, then Pisgah Brewing in Black Mountain. I think it is somewhat expensive but well worth it for the beer lover.

Defintely plan a trip to asheville, hit the brews cruise then Barleys Taproom and the Biergarden (over 250 beers from around the world), then Bruisen Ales before you leave (beer store over 200 beers).

As someone who has been on the Brews Cruise (Asheville), I can tell you that it is a great experience and well worth it. The guy that runs it is very friendly and fun and is obsessed with making sure that everyone in the group is having a blast. When I went on the tour, everyone in the group got along with each other extremely well and we had a spectacular time (I'm sure the alcohol helped with this). The brewery visits were all very interesting and informative, especially the one at Highland. And you get to enjoy yourself as much as you want without having to worry about driving. It's super fun and I highly recommend it to anyone that finds themselves in Asheville.

Brews Cruise: Brewery Tours, Asheville, Nashville and Denver Beer Tours

The guy told me he had expanded to Denver, but apparently they are doing it in Nashville now as well.

ahseville is a jewel of the south. Highland brewing is great. French broad is great. Asheville brewing suppy on merimon is even better.

A great time to be had by all. Might have to do the brews cruise.

Back