Any other hookah-heads?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beta pleated sheet

Reaction score
Well, after spending the weekend out in the country and thinking about how awesome it would have been to have a hookah up there, I've decided that once I get some more money I'm going to buy my first hookah. I'm probably going to go for a small one, since it will be moved around a lot.

mmm Hookah What a smooth tasty smoke. Makes me wish my friend hadn't given hers to her friend because she thought she was addicted.....

You can pick up pretty decent one for about $100.

I'm hoping the time and money will deter me from getting too hooked. That, and I think I'd need to only use it with a group because I can't smoke that much in one sitting.

I think it was my first hookah experiences when my friend and his buddy somehow did this crazy layered thing. It started off with a few different herbal things, then tobacco, then some really good weed. It was nifty.

I've got one although it is in storage right now. Can't wait to see it again! Soon I'll be in a panhandle apartment with a beach view from the patio. I stick to the legal stuff, but to each his own.

Hookahs are cool, but I'll just stick with my briar and cob pipes.... They're less trendy, and cheap to smoke. I smoke about 4 times a day and my habit runs me about $10 a month.

Briar pipes can get expensive (waayyyy over $100 each), but just if you just want good smoking ones, they're around $30-50. Mostly I smoke out of cobs though. At $5 or less a piece, you really can't go wrong...

I've been wanting to get a pipe. I might invest in me a cheap cob pipe this week. A question though sir hump. My friend use to have one and when we would try to smoke it, it wouldn't stay lit for crap. Every puff we had to relight it. I think we were using some Walgreen's blend. Any idea what the problem was?? I even tried drying it in the oven for about an hour, but that didn't help either.

I've been wanting to get a pipe. I might invest in me a cheap cob pipe this week. A question though sir hump. My friend use to have one and when we would try to smoke it, it wouldn't stay lit for crap. Every puff we had to relight it. I think we were using some Walgreen's blend. Any idea what the problem was?? I even tried drying it in the oven for about an hour, but that didn't help either.

Get yourself a tamper.

Loosely drop the tobac into the bowl until it's full, then use the tamper to get it down to about half-full. Refill loosely, tamp again. Top it off, and tamp again.

Then light it and it will kind of swell up from the heat and go out pretty quickly. Tamp again.

Then light and puff away...

Or, do what I do... pack up the bowl, tamp it down, light, let it die out, light again and just smoke half a bowl.

The tamping is definitely a bit of an art and takes a little practice to get right. And the type of tobacco also makes a difference, as does the moisture content. Generally you want the tobac to brake apart when you drop it on a sheet of paper, or else it's too moist, though I've gotten accustomed to smoking moister toboc which seems to burn cooler and be a bit more flavorful.

Check out frenchyspipes.com. They have a good selection of cobs and he's running a sale right now, although saving 10% on a five dollar cob isn't going to save you much...

I've never tried pipes, but I think I might like to. How are they on harshness? I've got wimpy lungs that don't do so great with too much of the hot dryness...another reason why I like hookah.

I've never tried pipes, but I think I might like to. How are they on harshness? I've got wimpy lungs that don't do so great with too much of the hot dryness...another reason why I like hookah.

You don't inhale, so they aren't bad on the lungs at all... it's more like a cigar in that you get the nicotine through the mouth.

It's definitely a very mellow kind of a sensation. Very nice.

A friend of mine has a hookah but he doesn't use it much because of his wife, so he leaves it at my house and every time he stops by my house for a brew, we'll smoke the hookah.

I had a hookah, left it at college with a dorm mate when I graduated. It was a nice 1 hose acrylic MYA. was about 18" tall and had its own little case, think I payed about $30 for it on ebay.

i love my hookah, though i dont use it all that often anymore. My advice; dont get one thats too small. I had gotten small one for transportability, but i soon found that it tipped over all to easily. it was nice but because it was so light just the weight of the hose could just about tip it over. The one i have now isnt too large, but the size really makes the thing secure...plus i think it looks cooler. I got a good deal on a 2 hose model (really nice too) with case for $90. happy hunting!

I've also heard that with little ones, you have to be careful not to draw too hard or you'll pull in some water. I'm probably going to be looking at something in the range of 15" or so.

Mine is at least 15"! My hookah that is... actually it's around 22". Got it from a garage sale. The lady had a couple of dozen of them. She bought them to start a smoke shop in town but never did...

Back