1 barrel stout tank build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks skemp, why do u need to upgrade? What do u use now? I'm gonna be selling the old system once this one is completed.... Cheers

Oh man he just left. They are driving back to casa grande right now. Let me know when your ready to upgrade I'm sure I'll have some extra parts laying around.

With your stand that close to the ground, I don't think you can use the hurricane burners. IIRC, they need 12-14" of clearance to avoid melting (their warning) the kettle.

With your stand that close to the ground, I don't think you can use the hurricane burners. IIRC, they need 12-14" of clearance to avoid melting (their warning) the kettle.

Sorry Caleb

I'm an idiot I meant the bayou sp- 10 is what I am using. Do u see any issue using this burner?

Nope. The only issue would be that it would take forever to get a 1 BBL rolling. Are you running high pressure propane? If so, I'd give though to this. And it's on sale

http://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/bg14_cast_iron_burner.htm

There is a local brewery that's doing 3 BBL batches (I think) with just one or two of those. I just tried finding pics of their brewhaus, but it don't have any of their burners. Sorry

Nope. The only issue would be that it would take forever to get a 1 BBL rolling. Are you running high pressure propane? If so, I'd give though to this. And it's on sale

http://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/bg14_cast_iron_burner.htm

There is a local brewery that's doing 3 BBL batches (I think) with just one or two of those. I just tried finding pics of their brewhaus, but it don't have any of their burners. Sorry

Thanks for the tip. How long do you think it would take to get a boil with the high pressure burner. That would be the route to go I think. Still open for options. Thanks for your help

I have that burner In the low pressure version. Drastic cut in btu's. I can roll 20g from 45-212 in an hour. If you run it at 30psi, and have your stoichiometrics set, I'd guess 30 min or less from sparge to boil?

Keep In mind, there is no way to run this off a grill tank. Pulling that many BTUs, it would freeze very quickly. You would need at the minimum, a 100lb tank, or go to a full size stand alone tank for a home. You would need the gas company to set the regulator at 30 psi for you, because most are set at 14" WC (less than 1 psi)

The best thing on these burners, are that they are silent! I have a 90k btu burner on my MT, and it's 10 times louder than my bg14

I have that burner In the low pressure version. Drastic cut in btu's. I can roll 20g from 45-212 in an hour. If you run it at 30psi, and have your stoichiometrics set, I'd guess 30 min or less from sparge to boil?

Keep In mind, there is no way to run this off a grill tank. Pulling that many BTUs, it would freeze very quickly. You would need at the minimum, a 100lb tank, or go to a full size stand alone tank for a home. You would need the gas company to set the regulator at 30 psi for you, because most are set at 14" WC (less than 1 psi)

The best thing on these burners, are that they are silent! I have a 90k btu burner on my MT, and it's 10 times louder than my bg14

This is the way I will go until I change over to all electric in the future. Appreciate all the good info Caleb.

No recent progress lately been working like a complete psycho. Going to paint the stand tomorrow and try to finish it up as much as I can. Thursday is the big day my kettles will be delivered. Felt like a life time waiting for them but it was only 2 months. Just tapped our Belgian tripel tonight it's quite tasty.More pics to follow. Cheers

No kidding. I work in gales ferry sometimes at Dow chemical. We should do some brews together some day. When the new system is built we should have a big brew day. Where did u move from?

No kidding. Yeah that would be great. The move setback my brew system a little, but I will have construction going soon. I moved up from Charleston, SC. Brewing would be great, I am trying to find a local homebrew club.

Well u can join our club in Norwich. I messaged u about it somewhere else on here. We try to brew at least once a month. More than welcome to come over.

No words can describe how awesome the quality of these stout tanks are. Super happy.

image.jpg

The stand has been primed ready for high temp paint. I know people disagree with the whole paint thing but my OCD will not let me leave it bare. Haha

image.jpg

I'm thinking mount all pumps under mash tun on a drawer that pulls out the back of the stand for access. Need to find heavy duty drawers. Then punch holes in the front panel with just the tri clovers visible.

image.jpg

Finally got these bad boys on the stand today. They look awesome, very happy with the height of the kettles. Tomorrow I will have time to put some high temp paint on the stand. Next things to get are pumps, burners, windshields, tri clamps, gaskets, valves and a whole bunch of other stuff I'm sure.ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390003078.516861.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1390003093.220615.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1390003107.192558.jpg

Whoa! very nice. I also designed my stand to be shorter. Safer to stand on my own 2 feet than on a ladder.

You should have gone stainless. It is not that much more and is pretty easy to TIG weld.

Whoa! very nice. I also designed my stand to be shorter. Safer to stand on my own 2 feet than on a ladder.

You should have gone stainless. It is not that much more and is pretty easy to TIG weld.

Thanks trillium, I know stainless would have been better. Maybe I will change it later. I'm kinda bummed I didn't do it that way, but oh well. Can't wait till its done. Some much stuff to buy and think if its gonna work, while working 80+ hours a week. What's your system look like? Mind showing some pics? Cheers

Is that your lips on that stainless mash tun? I really don't want to even think what else you did on it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

1390176080943.jpg

Dang that looks all too familiar, nice work! It is the perfect width. Actually it looks like it is about 12" wider than mine.
Good luck on brewing, Make sure you get a freezer and a controller for that conical.
Just finished a 11.5% abv Barleywine and put it In a 15g Dads hat rye whiskey barrel.
Cheers

Oh man barley wines are my favorite. We do have a temp controlled chamber for the conical. I pretty much stole your design. When I saw your setup I knew that was the size I wanted. 84" long by24" wide. I wanted to see inside the boil kettle and mash tun. Thanks for looking.

Oh man barley wines are my favorite. We do have a temp controlled chamber for the conical. I pretty much stole your design. When I saw your setup I knew that was the size I wanted. 84" long by24" wide. I wanted to see inside the boil kettle and mash tun. Thanks for looking.

The grain bill was so big I could only make 15 gallons by the time it was finished.
and you ended up with the right size too. mine was 72 X 18.
Have fun, I will look forward to hearing about your first brew.

The grain bill was so big I could only make 15 gallons by the time it was finished.
and you ended up with the right size too. mine was 72 X 18.
Have fun, I will look forward to hearing about your first brew.

Yea can't wait till it's done. I feel the laundry list of parts is never ending. What burners are you using and how are u controlling them? I'm trying to automate at least flame control and pumps.

Back