Where to fill CO2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look in the phone book under welding supplies. Some refill while others do a swap. I recently opted to do a swap since my test date had expired and they took it, never looking at the date.

I get mine filled at the place that does all the welding gasses and also medical gasses. They can do beer gas too. Anyway, you might want to look under medical gas suppliers too if you don't have luck elsewhere.

Cheers :D

Also check out if there are any paintball stores/fields near you. they use CO2 in most paintball markers and can probably fill you up there.

thanks guys, I'm headed to academy right now to check to see if they can fill it. They said that the biggest they have filled before is a 20 ounce bottle. They only have one fitting to fill with so I'm hoping that it's universal.

you would be better off getting it from a medical gas supply. if you get it filled any where else, ask if they do beverage grade co2. there is a difference. with beverage grade before they fill, they install a filter to keep impurities out of your bottle. hence no oils or bad stuff like benzene that is common from an unfiltered co2 source.

subwyking said:
you would be better off getting it from a medical gas supply. if you get it filled any where else, ask if they do beverage grade co2. there is a difference. with beverage grade before they fill, they install a filter to keep impurities out of your bottle. hence no oils or bad stuff like benzene that is common from an unfiltered co2 source.
Now no one told me this. I got mine from a welding supply business. How much of a problem is this?

RichBrewer said:
Now no one told me this. I got mine from a welding supply business. How much of a problem is this?

There are two big uses for CO2, welding and beverages. I'll bet the welding houses only stock what's good for beverages- or better. You see, impurities in welding gasses can kill just as many people, just as dead, as impurities in food. Ask a welder about grinding out defective welds...

Call your welding supply and ask.

Back