Camlock quicky

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runyanka

Reaction score
So about a year and a half ago I built my brewstand, and purchases all my camlocks from bargain fittings. I have the typical setup, the 1/2" male type "F" on all my brew kettles, pumps, chiller, etc. I have the female type "C" fitting on all my hoses (4 hoses). Recently I was reading on www.brewhardware.com that they do not carry the type "C" anymore because it is not truly 1/2" dia inside. They now carry the "big C" fitting, which is truly 1/2" inside dia.

So I have an entire system setup to run 1/2" flow, but am realizing I am restricted to 3/8" at the hose fittings (type c). Is this something to consider upgrading to the "big c" just to have true 1/2" flow, will it make that much difference? It will cost around $100 just to replace my hose fittings.

There are probably a whole lot of folks running rigs loaded with the original Type-C fittings without issues. I'd at least wait until I had the structure up and pumping (or...gravitizing? ;) ) and see if you have any flow problems...

Cheers!

Each camlock is only a short restriction compared to the length of the hose. Swapping the C camlocks for big C's or B's will help the flow slightly. A cheaper fix is to make your hose shorter.

Upgrading to the "high flow" configurations helped immensely in my situation.

I saved just enough regular type Cs to be able to run a GPM comparison test. The plan right now is to rig up a 1/2" diptube and run four type C camlocks and do a measured GPM test. Then I'll swap out to the 5/8" diptube and run the Big Cs. My expectation with an older style March 809 is to find the high flow components running about 4GPM while the restricted would be just under 3. Not earth shattering but we'll see. I also have the newer chuggers and a LG 1/8th HP pump to see how it affects higher performing pumps.

I'm sure that will be useful information for lots of people Bobby.

Just to clarify, if I sounded skeptical it is not because I want to put people off buying your stuff, it's just that my own set up has so many bottlenecks I can't see that replacing the normal C's is going to make that much difference for me.

Here's a good shot of the "standard" vs the "High Flow".

It's literally twice the bore.

ForumRunner_20130304_171801.jpg

I saved just enough regular type Cs to be able to run a GPM comparison test. The plan right now is to rig up a 1/2" diptube and run four type C camlocks and do a measured GPM test. Then I'll swap out to the 5/8" diptube and run the Big Cs. My expectation with an older style March 809 is to find the high flow components running about 4GPM while the restricted would be just under 3. Not earth shattering but we'll see. I also have the newer chuggers and a LG 1/8th HP pump to see how it affects higher performing pumps.

Any report on the flow rate form the two tests Bobby?

Thanks
Steve

Back