Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I heard that fat, lazy, drunk-guys sit around and talk about beer on the internet all day at work, instead of actually working...hellifiknow:D

Billy-Klubb said:
if I could get the interwebs in my welding hood, I'd agree with you. hahaha!

First they invented auto darkening lenses, next is wifi Internet access.

on the same note, I run into a lot of people that think "home brew=prison toilet wine" and "BMC=beer and "everything else=fancy new made up beer". you know, like stout/porter/bock/blonde.

The Buffalo Wild Wings commercial doesn't help our situation with the mass view of home brewing. Everybody I work with is like "Man I saw your commercial again last night! When do we get some bratwurst beer!?!? HAHAHAHA!"

The Buffalo Wild Wings commercial doesn't help our situation with the mass view of home brewing. Everybody I work with is like "Man I saw your commercial again last night! When do we get some bratwurst beer!?!? HAHAHAHA!"

I think we've all heard retarded comments about brewing because of that commercial...

I think we've all heard retarded comments about brewing because of that commercial...

Thankfully it didn't air here in Sweden. But way back we used to have a commercial that made fun of cheap commercial beer. They said you'd have to filter it through a loaf of bread and a dirty sock to make it taste good.

[ame]http://youtu.be/5NBbfCo3Eus[/ame]

The irony was also that the beer that was favored in the commercial was a cheap, mass produced lager. I think it's from the late 90's.

Those of us without BWW locally were spared.

Here's the opposite situation - where I assumed the worst. I was talking to someone I met at work (on travel) about beer. I'm always a bit cautious - since I don't want to come off as too knowledgeable where people think they know what they're talking about. Slowly the conversation escalated (he must also have been cautious) until we're talking about good local beers, sours, etc., etc.

Finally the home set-ups come up. I mention I have a keezer... he says he has one too - and put a temp controller on it. Oh, and he does that because he uses soda kegs for his homebrew.

Thankfully it didn't air here in Sweden. But way back we used to have a commercial that made fun of cheap commercial beer. They said you'd have to filter it through a loaf of bread and a dirty sock to make it taste good.

I wish I could understand what they were saying, but it kind of reminds me of the old "bitter beer face" commercials. I loved the look on the guy's face though.

A rough translation:

Many drink beer without additives. Lars Janson, however, does not.

What BS are ya talkin' about? I buy real cheap crap beer (he litterally says ugly beer. He uses ugly as a prefix) from the internet and filter it. (he references exactly WHAT it is he's filtering away, however I have no idea what he's saying since the accent is HEAVY)

I have a organization, I know what I'm doing.

He then holds up the beer soaked loaf of bread and comments it wasn't very good.

Regular people just don't understand. You have to filter it.

He drinks and makes the face.

Are the additives gone now?

Hahaha!

Real beer is made from barley, hops, yeast and water. No additives; just beer.

Sponsored by blablabla

The interview guy drinks his beer and the other guy says: Do you have fine beer? Can I have the last sip?

He then filters it more on the speaker, explaining the motion from the music makes the crap fall to the bottom.

Does it really fall to the bottom?

Yes.... I think.

Sponsored by blablabla.

When he swings it around over his head he says "Now the beer is pasteurizing in the bucket here"

Are the blablabla gone now?

Beer face.

Sponsor.

If you have to choose which beer, my fine beer or your filtered beer - which one would you drink?

He hesiates "Hmm, if I... but... hay, it's stacked in your favor. If I pick..." he then picks his beer, and drinks it defiantly and says it's really tasty.

The translation got a bit messy. xD

I'm going to try and start a new trend.

Instead of calling it BMC, since that name is a little too technical for most beer-drinkers, I'm going to start making the distinction between commercial beer and non-commercial beer.

Commercial beer, obviously, are the beers that have commercials on the television.

A rough translation:

Many drink beer without additives. Lars Janson, however, does not.

What BS are ya talkin' about? I buy real cheap crap beer (he litterally says ugly beer. He uses ugly as a prefix) from the internet and filter it. (he references exactly WHAT it is he's filtering away, however I have no idea what he's saying since the accent is HEAVY)

I have a organization, I know what I'm doing.

He then holds up the beer soaked loaf of bread and comments it wasn't very good.

Regular people just don't understand. You have to filter it.

He drinks and makes the face.

Are the additives gone now?

Hahaha!

Real beer is made from barley, hops, yeast and water. No additives; just beer.

Sponsored by blablabla

The interview guy drinks his beer and the other guy says: Do you have fine beer? Can I have the last sip?

He then filters it more on the speaker, explaining the motion from the music makes the crap fall to the bottom.

Does it really fall to the bottom?

Yes.... I think.

Sponsored by blablabla.

When he swings it around over his head he says "Now the beer is pasteurizing in the bucket here"

Are the blablabla gone now?

Beer face.

Sponsor.

If you have to choose which beer, my fine beer or your filtered beer - which one would you drink?

He hesiates "Hmm, if I... but... hay, it's stacked in your favor. If I pick..." he then picks his beer, and drinks it defiantly and says it's really tasty.

The translation got a bit messy. xD

Awesome. Thank you.

While buying a bottle of Stone IPA:

Clerk: This beer is made in India?
Me: No, India Pale Ale means it has more hops.
Clerk: Hops?
Me: I has more flavor. It is more bitter.
Clerk: It is better.
Me: No, bitter...

Instead of calling it BMC, since that name is a little too technical for most beer-drinkers, I'm going to start making the distinction between commercial beer and non-commercial beer.

So, the 7 micro/nanobreweries in my town, all of whom sell beer commercially to local pubs, as well as directly to the public from their retail counter (some of whom even sell through the local liquor stores), are not "commercial?"

Then how do we distinguish between licensed, multi-bbl operations brewing it for profit, and homebrewers brewing it for fun?

To add to the topic, I'd have to say the most bizarre (I guess maybe funny?) thing I've heard about beer is when I've offered a homebrew to a guest, and they say, "No thanks, I don't like beer."

Huh? What do you mean you "don't like beer?" There are hundreds of different kinds of beer. "I just don't like the taste." Which taste? That's like offering someone a slice of almond hazelnut cheesecake and them replying that they "don't like cake" because they once had a slice of a lemon watermelon poundcake that they didn't like.

In those situations, is it worth it to try and educate them about all the different kinds of beer, and encouraging them to try some variety to see the differences? Or do you just decide they're probably a lost cause and let it go?

So, the 7 micro/nanobreweries in my town, all of whom sell beer commercially to local pubs, as well as directly to the public from their retail counter (some of whom even sell through the local liquor stores), are not "commercial?"

Then how do we distinguish between licensed, multi-bbl operations brewing it for profit, and homebrewers brewing it for fun?

To add to the topic, I'd have to say the most bizarre (I guess maybe funny?) thing I've heard about beer is when I've offered a homebrew to a guest, and they say, "No thanks, I don't like beer."

Huh? What do you mean you "don't like beer?" There are hundreds of different kinds of beer. "I just don't like the taste." Which taste? That's like offering someone a slice of almond hazelnut cheesecake and them replying that they "don't like cake" because they once had a slice of a lemon watermelon poundcake that they didn't like.

In those situations, is it worth it to try and educate them about all the different kinds of beer, and encouraging them to try some variety to see the differences? Or do you just decide they're probably a lost cause and let it go?

It's a lost cause. I was planning to be a good neighbor and hook up the new guy that moved in next door, only to find out that he doesn't like the taste of beer. A couple of questions led to the horse piss yellow analogy (which I don't particularly disagree with); pretty obvious that BMC equals beer to this guy.

But... he has an opinion and is happy with said opinion. Who am I to try to evangalize craft beer to him?

wooda2008 said:
paraphrased from a friend:
"I want you to close your eyes and picture something, okay? Picture that hot chick at the gym, the one that should be a model. She walks up to you. Smells like pine needles. really fresh. You're just standing there, and she pops a caramel into your mouth, takes a bite out of a pineapple, and kisses you. That's what heady topper is"

Easily one of the best beer descriptions I've ever read! I've never had Heady Topper, but now I must.

Easily one of the best beer descriptions I've ever read! I've never had Heady Topper, but now I must.

I actually prefer Southern Tier 2xIPA to Heady, but a lot of people seem to like Heady. I guess I'm just not a huge fan of Simcoe.

I've also been to restaurants where things like SNPA are listed with the "imports" and not the "domestics" :confused:

BrewOnBoard

Here in Winchester, VA the local Food Lion "Imported Beers" section has the following selection:

Blue Moon
Sierra Nevada
Dogfish Head
Fat Tire
Sam Adams
Dominion

*sigh*

I was drinking an Oude Brune at Marble Brewery Saturday evening. It's served in a goblet (and very tasty). A guy was asking about the beers on the menu, specifically the imperial stout that his friend had told him about. The server pointed to the goblet in front of me and said that the imperial stout was served in one of those glasses. The guy said, "No, he was talking about a beer." The server looked confused and i tried not to laugh. I'm guessing the guy had never seen beer served in a goblet before.

Correct. I will contend humorously and erroneously, but in all earnesty, that the homebrewer as well as the microbreweries in your home town, unless they have commercials on television or radio, should be considered non-commercial beers. Here's my thinking:

We want to encourage good beer. Part of having good beer is that it be local. This leads to a fresher product, a hometown flavor, and hey, less shipping is good for the environment as well. This also supports local jobs and the local economy. And these brewers have more in common than you might think. Brewers without a large marketing arm are not competing on the basis of coolness or popularity, only on taste. What I make in my kitchen, and what 2 Brothers or 3 Floyds make in their brewery is all about taste and flavor. So when it comes to what matters, lumping these groups with homebrewers makes sense. After all, if the homebrewer can't make beer approaching that good, then he might as well just buy craft beer.

But now... what to call this collection of homebrewers, microbrewers, and nanobrewers? What catch-all can we use? What do they all have in common? Well, they don't have commercials. They rely on their reputation for quality, and good word of mouth, rather than commercials. So, they are all non-commercial.

LOL

Correct. I will contend humorously and erroneously, but in all earnesty, that the homebrewer as well as the microbreweries in your home town, unless they have commercials on television or radio, should be considered non-commercial beers. Here's my thinking:

We want to encourage good beer. Part of having good beer is that it be local. This leads to a fresher product, a hometown flavor, and hey, less shipping is good for the environment as well. This also supports local jobs and the local economy. And these brewers have more in common than you might think. Brewers without a large marketing arm are not competing on the basis of coolness or popularity, only on taste. What I make in my kitchen, and what 2 Brothers or 3 Floyds make in their brewery is all about taste and flavor. So when it comes to what matters, lumping these groups with homebrewers makes sense. After all, if the homebrewer can't make beer approaching that good, then he might as well just buy craft beer.

But now... what to call this collection of homebrewers, microbrewers, and nanobrewers? What catch-all can we use? What do they all have in common? Well, they don't have commercials. They rely on their reputation for quality, and good word of mouth, rather than commercials. So, they are all non-commercial.

LOL

Commercial doesn't necessarily require advertising though. Part of their marketing is their storefront/brewpub, their beer names, their stylistic choice, the vibe that they give off. Cambridge Brewing Company for example doesn't advertise, and they do make excellent beer and strive to use lots of local ingredients, but certainly a part of the appeal is coolness and popularity along with the general feel they've created around their products.

Plus, I've been to many a brewpub that makes crappy beer that's not all about taste and flavor, they corner a piece of the market and sell cheap beer to rake in a profit. Sometimes it's not even fresh product. What should we call those establishments in your renaming paradigm? You can't assume that "can't afford/doesn't want television advertisements" means "makes high quality craft beer".

Commercial doesn't necessarily require advertising though. Part of their marketing is their storefront/brewpub, their beer names, their stylistic choice, the vibe that they give off. Cambridge Brewing Company for example doesn't advertise, and they do make excellent beer and strive to use lots of local ingredients, but certainly a part of the appeal is coolness and popularity along with the general feel they've created around their products.

Plus, I've been to many a brewpub that makes crappy beer that's not all about taste and flavor, they corner a piece of the market and sell cheap beer to rake in a profit. Sometimes it's not even fresh product. What should we call those establishments in your renaming paradigm? You can't assume that "can't afford/doesn't want television advertisements" means "makes high quality craft beer".

Good question. Hmmmm... I guess I would label them as Failures. But I'm open to other names. Maybe there should be a name that encompasses the types of establishments of which you speak and also the faux-craft beers like Blue Moon and Shock Top. Just call them knock-offs maybe?

There are no businesses that truly do not advertise themselves or have no commercials. Such would go out of business quickly. Those successful establishments that "do not advertise" have a reputation that advertises for them. It is carried--instead of on airwaves, billboards or flyers--upon the loving lips of their clientele. However, the reputation had to be earned. The branding had to be done. The love of their clients must be won in each and every glass along with each and every detail of their business model. The difference between a commercial endeavor and a hobbyist doing the same thing is that one does it solely for the love of doing it; the other may love it, but also wants to profit from it.

cluckk said:
There are no businesses that truly do not advertise themselves or have no commercials. Such would go out of business quickly. Those successful establishments that "do not advertise" have a reputation that advertises for them. It is carried--instead of on airwaves, billboards or flyers--upon the loving lips of their clientele. However, the reputation had to be earned. The branding had to be done. The love of their clients must be won in each and every glass along with each and every detail of their business model. The difference between a commercial endeavor and a hobbyist doing the same thing is that one does it solely for the love of doing it; the other may love it, but also wants to profit from it.

Saw an hour long video of Sam Calagione when he was doing a presentation at Google. He made th claim that Dog Fish Head doesn't advertise.

Bull****.

He's doing interviews, took part in a reality TV show, wrote a (very hohum) book, promoted said book, was in a beer documentary movie, have a company run YouTube channel with almost a million views. Etc etc.

Wtf do you call that? I call it promotion and advertising.

Stone's Greg Koch makes the same claim. I guess unless you sponsor a nascar team you haven't advertised.

Somehow advertising is bad. Sam Adams isn't the #3 brewing company in America and the largest American owned brewery in America because their beer is so good. They advertise.

Sam Adams isn't the #3 brewing company in America and the largest American owned brewery in America because their beer is so good. They advertise.

Yuengling pushed them out a while ago, despite having a distribution limited to, I believe, 13 states (and only 2 brewery sites) versus Boston Beer's national distribution and contract brewing.
To lend support to your argument, however, they took that title after they started buying more TV ads throughout their market rather than their old faithful word of mouth (which had made them the second largest American owned brewery)

I don't know if it's funny in the US, but the first time I head "I don't like beer, I only drink lager", I did find it quite curious. I've heard it now hundreds of times so it lacks the novelty.

A couple of days ago at a local bottle shop I was looking for some good sours and lambics that I could harvest the dregs from. A couple of frat guys and a girl walk up nearby and the girl picks up a Hanssens Raspberry.

Girl: How about some of these fruit beers?
Guy: That s**t is just b**** beer that tastes like a wine cooler, I want something really heavy like Guinness.

I don't think there's any confusion regarding the whole lager and ale thing in Sweden. But then again, the state has monopoly on selling alchohol in stores (except for anything below 2.5-ish%). They all have the exact same layout, with beer divided by... (I hardly buy beer so I might not remember) ale, lager, dark lager. They also always list country of origin and styles.

It's really weird, the whole idea of a state owned liquor store sounds horrible and it could go wrong in so many ways and I hate state monopoly... BUT THEY'RE DOING IT RIGHT?! Extremely well-educated personel, and you can order anything that's not in stock - and stock from all over the world is available already.

Only had one issue ever there.

Was telling a friend that I started brewing my own beer, he asked what kind I was brewing and I said "an arrogant bastard clone" he than said "isn't that malt liquor? I can't stand the taste of malt liquor" I just sighed.

Was telling a friend that I started brewing my own beer, he asked what kind I was brewing and I said "an arrogant bastard clone" he than said "isn't that malt liquor? I can't stand the taste of malt liquor" I just sighed.

That's pretty funny. I've never thought about it before, but there are probably tons of people who think that any bottle bigger than 16oz is malt liquor!

That would lead me to wonder if anyone thinks they don't like malt liquor because they have only tried Arrogant Bastard?

Billy-Klubb said:
on the same note, I run into a lot of people that think "home brew=prison toilet wine" and "BMC=beer and "everything else=fancy new made up beer". you know, like stout/porter/bock/blonde.

That's a great name for a beer "Prison Toilet Wine"! What would he fermentables be?

I don't know if it's funny in the US, but the first time I head "I don't like beer, I only drink lager", I did find it quite curious. I've heard it now hundreds of times so it lacks the novelty.

Here in Pennsylvania, if you say "lager", it is assumed that you mean Yuengling. Walk up to a bartender and ask for a lager, and you automatically get a Yuengling Lager every time. I have heard people say, "I hate Budweiser, I only drink lager"

:smack:

I walked out of Bottlecraft in San Diego, a craft beer bottle shop and as I walked out there was this old guy, his wife and his adult son looking inside the shop with wide eyes. He was amazed at what was in there and just said, "Well how about that. Beer has respect."

I'm not even sure what he meant but I chuckled.

In IF here there is an abundant religious population who are teetotalers and you run into signs of their dominant culture even in bars. I'm at a chain place whose name I won't mention as it causes some people here to froth. This place brings on a new beer every month and gives away the first keg as samples. So the manager gets on a PA to tell announce that their giving away samples of "Arrogant Ale"! Wait, what? Is this something I haven't heard of? Nope, I get my glass and it's clear that he just didn't want to use the word "Bastard" over the PA for fear of offending someone, in a freakin bar!

I don't think there's any confusion regarding the whole lager and ale thing in Sweden. But then again, the state has monopoly on selling alchohol in stores (except for anything below 2.5-ish%). They all have the exact same layout, with beer divided by... (I hardly buy beer so I might not remember) ale, lager, dark lager. They also always list country of origin and styles.

It's really weird, the whole idea of a state owned liquor store sounds horrible and it could go wrong in so many ways and I hate state monopoly... BUT THEY'RE DOING IT RIGHT?! Extremely well-educated personel, and you can order anything that's not in stock - and stock from all over the world is available already.

Only had one issue ever there.

Actually here in the US, Pennsylvania owns their liquor stores (beer stores are separate, privately owned, and usually pretty bad) but the government liquor store system isn't horrible, they have a ton of buying power so some items are much cheaper than in other states. other items are overpriced though since they have to cater to the general public (aka cheap vodka and big name liquors) it's tougher for them to stock things that are unique.

Actually here in the US, Pennsylvania owns their liquor stores (beer stores are separate, privately owned, and usually pretty bad) but the government liquor store system isn't horrible, they have a ton of buying power so some items are much cheaper than in other states. other items are overpriced though since they have to cater to the general public (aka cheap vodka and big name liquors) it's tougher for them to stock things that are unique.

In six years in the military I lived all over the US, including in dry counties (Texas), no alcohol sales on Sundays states (Georgia) and in states that sell liquor through state-run or state-approved monopolies (VA, and Montgomery county, MD). The best place I've ever lived for buying alcohol has been simultaneously the cheapest and most accessible, and also the one with the fewest restrictions on alcohol sales--California. In CA, you can walk into Safeway at 2AM on a Sunday and buy as much liquor/wine/beer as you want, no problems. Every grocery store sells beer, wine and liquor, as do most gas stations. And bargain stores like BevMo have cheaper prices than any other place I've seen, plus terrific selection. In VA, in contrast, you have to buy alcohol at the ABC, and a bottle of Glenlivet 12 yr. is something like $45, where you can get it at the drugstore in CA for $28 on sale!

I miss CA.

Back