Beginner here. How to start? Money is no object!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ukraine

Reaction score
My wife & I want to start brewing our own beer, where do I start? We have a $1000 budget... We have no local stores here, so well have to purchase online...

Sell you my kettle and fermenter for that price. haha. Seriously, first decide your goals by doing a bit of reading and research. Have you brewed before? First recommend-John Palmer's How to Brew. He covers equipment as well. Don't buy the equipment first and then figure out what kind of brewer you want to be. You'll be happier in the long run if you take things a little slower and research and read before taking the purchase plunge.
Of course you'll need a kettle. But what size? Spigot/valve? Alum/SS? etc. If you can put a little thought into your system before buying, you'll be much better off.

Look at what the major online stores offer for beginner kits and settle on one of those. Get some extract with specialty grain kits to get your feet wet. Then decide which route you want to take. Some never go beyond the extract with specialty grains. Some are happy with partial mash brewing. Others (myself included) are far happier with all grain brewing. What you get for gear really does depend on what route you're going to take.

IF you have a ~4 gallon (16 quart) pot already, use that for the extract with specialty grain batches at first. Then decide and upgrade. I would advise not going to anything smaller than a 10 gallon kettle as a second step (IMO/IME, 5 gallon pots are good only for extract with specialty grain brewing).

I would also advise to get more primaries right off the bat. Also read up on the newer methods for brewing that are posted on these boards. Especially the ones about not using a secondary/bright tank for all brews (especially with ales or using ale yeast).

IF you have decent kitchen skills, you'll probably progress through the methods pretty fast. I know I did.

BTW, once you start going towards all grain brewing, a grand will be burned through in no time at all. Unless the two of you are more in the DIY model, where you can make a decent amount of things.

Get palmers book and read the first section.

Buy only what you need, and make your first batch.

Buy decent equipment, pots, hydrometer, fermenter, siphon, bottles and bottle capper, etc., that will last you for a while, but don't get goofy.

Wait a while, and make a couple batches, until you decide to go for all grain and then go nuts spending the bucks on equipment.

i started off with one of the online kits. I bought it locally but they are all basically the same thing. It's been awesome. I just brewed my first batch and it seems like everything is going good. Mine came with a book to teach you everything you need to know about brewing. It also came with a kit beer to make things simple. I would suggest getting a kit like that. Then once you figure out what you like / don't like you can expand and go in the direction that you want to go.

Yeah I'd recommend a basic starter kit from a Homebrew store. Midwest, northern brewer, Austin Homebrew etc etc etc. should give you all the basics minus the pot and grains you'll need to get started. And as for a pot I'd get a larger one now as opposed to buying small now and upgrading later. In hindsight I would've just bought a 10gallon pot at least instead if the 7.5gallon that I have now. But for 35$ for turkey fryer that came with pot and burner I couldn't say no.

At first, your budget is best spent on a nice stainless steel kettle, a few carboys, and a starter kit. Then learn as much as you can, read books and this forum. As others suggested, Palmer's How To Brew is probably the best book for beginner brewers.

I'd spend the rest of that budget on kegging equipment, as this will not only save you time, it's a great way to enjoy your beer! You can keg any type of beer, so it's useful for any level of brewing.

Other things to consider are:

- cleaning supplies
- propane burner (if brewing outdoors)
- ingredients
- miscellaneous equipment (hydrometer, stainless spoon, kitchen scale, etc)

Good luck!

Ok, but what is a good online site? I was just browsing on Midwest supplies. Looks like they have a nice intermediate kit for $239. Do you guys know about them?

Ok, but what is a good online site? I was just browsing on Midwest supplies. Looks like they have a nice intermediate kit for $239. Do you guys know about them?

The main ones used (not in order of personal preference):
Austin Home Brew Supply
Northern Brewer
Rebel Brewer
William's Brewing
Midwest Supply

Specialty:
kegging: Keg Connection
Other/misc:Bargain Fittings, Brewer's Hardware, Brew Hardware

Other suppliers used:
Farmhouse Brewing Supply

All these vendors are listed in the vendors section/listing off of the main forum page.

My wife & I want to start brewing our own beer, where do I start? We have a $1000 budget... We have no local stores here, so well have to purchase online...

Hello, I would take a look at getting a starter kit from http://www.windriverbrew.com/apprentice.html
it comes with an ingredient kit too and they will even let you upgrade it for any one of their other kits.

Easy, cheap, great way to start out, then after you and your wife are sure you like brewing you can add as much or as little to your equipment as you want.

This way you will also get some time to get a handle on brewing and how you want to brew, extract brews, all grain BIAB (Boil in a bag) or a full blown 3 tier all grain brewing station, lots of confusing choices right off the bat.

I would highly recommend you and your wife get your feet wet on something simple first, then figure out how you want to brew later.

Hope this helped

Cheers :tank: and welcome to the madness lol

Northern Brewer has a sale that ends today Free Starter Kit with purchase of a Dead Ringer Recipe Kit (with Yeast and Priming Sugar) and 5 Gallon Stainless Kettle. it's their small $80 kit
They also sell the kit with free extract kit (choose 1 of 3)
Check it out here

Edit: Ends cyber Monday

This would be a pretty sweet kit around your budget:
http://www.highgravitybrew.com/productcart/pc/BIAB-Electric-Brewing-System-306p3987.htm

10 gallon all-grain batches and fully automated. Electric brewery's rock!

You would need a few other items as well of course (fermenters, cleaners, sanitizers, hydrometer, etc).

IMHO, controlling mash and fermentation temps are the biggest factors to making great beer. I would look into a Ranco temp controller for a fridge or freezer so you can keep a solid grip on ferm temps.

good luck!

THIS IS SUPER INEXPENSIVE BTW, less than $80 starter kit from http://www.windriverbrew.com/apprentice.html
it comes with an ingredient kit too and they will even let you upgrade it for any one of their other kits, and bottle caps, capper, hydrometer, almost everything you need to brew a 5 gal of beer

Thats without a boil pot mind you, but it dose come with ingredients to make 5 gal of beer.

Boil pot= 22qt from wally world, or 30qt turkey fryer, or ebay, amazon.

Also start saving pop top beer bottles now so you can use them to bottle your first batch, just wash them out right after drinking them, I let mine dry in the dishwasher, one bottle per post upside down over night, then back into the box for storage.

Cheers :tank:

If I started over again...

A big enough pot.
I have a 32 quart stainless pot and it does fine, but I dont all grain yet. Lots of people suggest a 10 gallon pot tho for 5 to 6 gallon batches.
Carboys.
I have a couple 5 and 6 gallon glass, just got a plastic better bottle to try.
Hydrometer.
Capper and/or keg and related.
Thermometer for all grain.
Build a fermentation chamber to control ferm temps.
Fridge or freezer if you go keg.
Heat source. Big enough stove, burner, electric setup etc.
Save and have your friends save beer bottles. Saves money.

Is anyone else getting the feeling there may be a troll in this thread?

In that case I change my mind, get a complete 3 tier fully automated electric brewing tower, a brass 3 tap tower kegerator, a dozen kegs, and a SS 50gal conical fermenter, but you will have to save some money.

In that case I change my mind, get a complete 3 tier fully automated electric brewing tower, a brass 3 tap tower kegerator, a dozen kegs, and a SS 50gal conical fermenter, but you will have to save some money.

Single tier, all stainless man... :rockin: Sized for full barrel batches too.

Hire me. End of discussion.

No, really, simply asking what equipment to get is like asking what type of car to get. We have NO idea of your desires or expectations. Do you want a city car or an all-terrain Unimog truck?

So. Start by reading John Palmer's book "How to Brew" and figure out where you want to begin.

1. Do you want to start with extract, partial extract, or all-grain?
  2. Do you want brew-in-a-bag or 3-vessel system?
  3. What size batches are you planning? Gallon, 2.5 gal, 5 gal. (4, 10, 19L) or larger?
  4. How much time do you have?
  5. HOW MUCH ROOM DO YOU HAVE?
  6. Do you prefer propane or electric?
  7. If electric, does your house have 240V 30A circuits?

Heck, you can turn out nice beverage from a 8 liter Mr. Beer kit or a fully automated 3-vessel brew stand. You can also create totally nasty brews with the same equipment.

(I like trolls. They are crunchy and good for dipping.)

Northern Brewer has a sale that ends today Free Starter Kit with purchase of a Dead Ringer Recipe Kit (with Yeast and Priming Sugar) and 5 Gallon Stainless Kettle. it's their small $80 kit
Check it out here

+1, best deal I've seen. You get a free starter equipment kit with the purchase of an extract and specialty grain ingredient kit (dead ringer ipa) and a ss kettle (it'd be nice if you could upgrade to a larger 10 gallon kettle, I'd check on that). The equipment kit is very basic, but it has everything you need to get started. You can always add more fermenters which you'll need to do with any equipment kit if you intend to brew often.

Just wanted to throw out a quick suggestion: if you think you'll want to start out with all-grain, pick up a Brooklyn Brewshop kit. They are all-grain kits that make one gallon of beer and come with everything you need except brew pots, and since it's just one gallon the 4qt sauce pan and 5qt stock pot you probably already have will be fine. I'll also jump on the "How to Brew" bandwagon, that's the book I started with and it'll get you started on the right path.

Just wanted to throw out a quick suggestion: if you think you'll want to start out with all-grain, pick up a Brooklyn Brewshop kit. They are all-grain kits that make one gallon of beer and come with everything you need except brew pots, and since it's just one gallon the 4qt sauce pan and 5qt stock pot you probably already have will be fine.

I know a lot of people seem to like these kits, but not me. Their kits seem over priced. To each his own though. :mug:

Lots of different suggestions here. I just want to do it right the first time. Because I'm into saltwater aquariums, and I can't begin to say how much money I've wasted by buying the wrong equipment. So that's why I'm starting here first. I want some good high quality equipment ( usually ends up costing less) just like I buy the best tools being a professional carpenter never buy cheap tools...
So I'd just want some good recommendations on the best equipment!

If you understand tools, then you know that the choice of tools is personal, and the best toolset is built over time.

If you just want to blow a grand, I'm sure we can all help you, but if you want to do it right, then do it slowly, and by good gear as you need it, and when you need it.

Lots of different suggestions here. I just want to do it right the first time. Because I'm into saltwater aquariums, and I can't begin to say how much money I've wasted by buying the wrong equipment. So that's why I'm starting here first. I want some good high quality equipment ( usually ends up costing less) just like I buy the best tools being a professional carpenter never buy cheap tools...

You really need to decide your near term plans, and then where you think you'll be in 6-12 months with this. IF you plan on going with 5 gallon batches, then you'll want one size gear. If you can see brewing 10 gallon batches, then a different size is called for. Extract vs. partial mash vs all grain all require different amounts of gear, depending on how you do it.

IMO, a grand will go by really fast. IF you have tools, and are comfortable working with metal (drilling stainless) then you can save in some areas by doing it yourself. Look over the gobs of DIY threads to get an idea.

ukraine said:

You may be a professional carpenter now, but those skills were developed over time. Same goes with brewing, there is no reason to buy the top of line equipment without getting a good grasp of the science first.

Sounds like you have a legitimate interest and those carpentry skills will go a long way (trust me). I'd start small, and learn the craft. There are literally a thousand ways to brew a beer.

Hey I have an easy one! Get a plate chiller! Mine is fantastic! Good luck sir, and I know you got a lot of different opinions but you will find on this forum most are very legitimate. Good luck!

Now this is just my opinion but I don't really agree with the "start small and build you're way up" approach. Taking that approach would be similar to your aquarium example ukraine. I have an old 6 gallon pot, bottle brush, bottling bucket and a bunch of other "starter" items that I just don't use anymore.

I wish when I started that an experienced brewer would have told me how quickly a 5 gallon batch disappears and asked me what's the maximum amount of beer I would be willing to make on a brew day. If you're gonna brew for 4-5 hours, why make 5 gallons when you can make 10 or 15. Think down the road, not now. If you don't plan to share, 5 gallons is fine but wait until you hear "wow this beer is awesome" for the first time. You'll be excited to brew more and that person will ask you to bring beer to their next party or kids wedding.

I think you should go direct to all grain by whichever method you choose. Extract is great when you need a quick batch but you will have total control and you will be brewing like a commercial brewer. It's not that much more work and you will have a blast making recipes and choosing ingredients. Forgive me extract brewers for the following statement because I know for some people all grain is just not an option. Extract is like canned soup where all grain is like making a soup from scratch.

This is controversial, but consider kegging right away. IMO, bottling is alot of work. You can clean 54 bottles or 1 keg. Some swear by it and that's fine but you can always bottle from a keg and my favorite compliment is when people say "it doesn't have gunk in the bottom of the bottle like other homebrews I've had in the past." When you present a clear beer in a nice labeled bottle, it not only impresses people, but you can sometimes fool them. Once I had a guy pop open one of my bottled beers and he said "oh yeah i've had this beer before".

Good luck and again I think you focus on the maximum beer you plan to brew and build around that.

1000 will go by very fast in an all grain setup. I just built a 30G setup, and here is a breakdown of cost estimates:

$250 - Pots
$250 - stainless valve/fittings
$125 - pump
$150 - plate cooler
$200 - propane stuff
$100 - steel tubing for stand (10-20 hours welding)

I'm also atleast another $1000 into my kegging setup, and fermenters

Not anyone here can tell you what way you are going to want to brew,
you have to brew first and figure that out for your self.

Look at it this way, spend a grand on the best brewing equipment you can get for your $1000 and if you don't like brewing it can collect dust in your garage or attic.

Or for less than $80 you can brew a 5 gal batch of beer and see if you like brewing, if you like brewing then you can always upgrade, and it will give you time to figure out what kind of brewing you want to do, and if you do up grade, you can use the bucket to wash your car, you will still need most of the stuff that comes in the kit anyway.

If you don't like brewing then you still get to drink 5 gal of beer and once again you can use the bucket to wash your car.

That being said, for 5 gal batches I would get a 10 to 15 gal SS pot with 1 welded port for a spigot if you want to BIAB, 2 welded ports if you want to go AG, leaning more toward the 15 gal just incase you do want to do AG, if you want to do 10 gal batches get a 15 to 25 gal pot, then multi ports.

That is just starting to go over a boil pot, Im sure now you can see why it isn't that easy for all of us to agree on what you should get.

OK last time, My best advice is to get a kit, brew a few times, learn about brewing, learn about the different ways to brew, see if you want to continue brewing, then spend your money on the brewing tools that YOU WAN"T. and that will last you a lifetime, its the only way not to buy the wrong stuff and have to repurchase a second time like with your fish aquarium.

GET THE KIT :smack: lol

Cheers :mug:

I suggest you get a 9 or 10 gallon stainless stock pot and a beginner equipment kit from one of the suppliers Golddiggie mentioned. You can find Bayou Classic stock pots for around $70 on ebay. That will get you started brewing extract. You could add a propane burner/turkey fryer, but then again you could just use the stove for your first couple batches. If you decide that brewing is not for you, the stock pot will still come in handy for cooking. The starter kits arent't horribly expensive, so not much risk there. If you like it and want to continue brewing, then plan your upgrade. I would start by getting a good burner (if you don't get one to begin with) and build a cooler mash tun so you can brew all grain. At this point, you will have minimal money invested and will be comfortable enough with the brewing process to decide whether you want to upgrade further. The above is basically what I started with. I eventually upgraded to a much larger brew rig, but I still use all my original equipment from time to time.

Check this out, its what Im starting to do now, after making a bunch of extract batches, and Im still going to be using the stuff from my kit, I just had to get a 15 gal pot with steamer basket, as my big kitchen stew pot is to small for this.

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing (with pics)

I also just started kegging as bottling is a pain in the (you know where) IMO, $800 into it and thats with a cheap $100 used kegerator off craigs list.

Cheers :)

Check it out here

This sale is actually still going and IMO, if you plan to see if you like brewing, this is the only kit that makes sense. It really does have everything you need, including a pot. Any more money and I think you're cutting into your budget that could be used for a starter keg setup or more/bigger fermenters.

Back