Building a bar questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gec5741

Reaction score
Hi guy's,

First post here. I started finishing my basement 2 years ago and due to certain unforseen issues I had to stop working on it. It's about time to get back to it. I'm back to thinking of how im going to construct the bar! I'm no master carpenter so what I was thinking to make my life easier for was in at leas a portion of the underneath to go with premade cabinets. So I guess what my real question is on how to get started. I was thinking I could build up a basic frame with the basic layout I plan to use. I was thinking then I can fit into the frame the kitchen cabinets. Would this method work or be an OK method for going about starting this type of project? I'm ok with some of the underneath area having just shelves but in some of the area I wanted to have cabninets and draws and I did not want to deal with making those from scratch!

Thanks in advance!

Build a platform for your cabinets to sit on to get it to the right height, then mount your bar top right to the cabinets. Piece of cake.....

Home Depot sells pretty decent unfinished base cabinets. Get a couple of those for the ends, mount them to a base as suggested, mount the bar top and build the shelves in the middle. Easy, right?

The bar will be kind of an odd shape that will be taking a few angles. I figured I could build the basic frame. Attach in the cabinets where needed and build in the shelves as suggested to fill in the rest. Thanks guy's looking forward to being able to get going on this! I have some plumbing and electic to run and then a ton of drywalling to do so it may be a while until I get to the actual bar build. but I'm excited!

I think you've got the right idea.
Your framing will be the base for the cabinets so frame away, put the cabinets in there and skin it.
Make sure and have a nice sturdy top with an easy to clean surface.

I've got my granddad's old bar in my house. I'm building the chest freezer kegorator to match the height of it.
Due to the design of the bar and the fact that I want to use his old bar, I'm going to put cabinets and a sink behind the bar.

Cool. My sink is going behind the bar as well. I have a push out type thing that carry's down from the pushout in my kitchen right above where the bar is going. So I planned to build in a cabinet into that pushout for the sink then do shelves above that. I want to build in an area for the keg so the tap comes out the top and was thinking about building an ice chest into it as well. I know a guy that can get them and help me build it in.

What I did was build a half wall and In front of that I put premade cabinets and put a counter top on top of that. On top of the half wall I extended out a 16" bar height counter (supported with brackets of course)

Back