Whiskey Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tombraider2

Reaction score
My buddy picked up a used once Keg, that was used to make whiskey. He let the beer set in that for a month. Then in the keg it went. That is some good ****. He's made 2 batches with it and seems he can get more yet.

Anyone done this ?

When I worked in Cinci,the guys used to go down to the distillery & buy the used barrels for cheap. But that was back in the early 80's. Never used the barrels,but used bourbon soaked oak to get the effect.

I just picked up an eight gallon barrel from Woodinville Whiskey and I threw a big barleywine in it last week. Plan on aging it in the barrel for a few weeks then bottling it and putting it away for a while. Working on a Russian Imperial Stout to go into the barrel next.

My buddy picked up a used once Keg, that was used to make whiskey. He let the beer set in that for a month. Then in the keg it went. That is some good ****. He's made 2 batches with it and seems he can get more yet.

Anyone done this ?

Yes, it's quite common, actually. You can oak anything, really. But most folks who do so usually do a Stout, a Barleywine, a RIIS, a DIPA. Big things like that. But have you ever tried any of Innis and Gunn? They're lighter body beers that are aged in barrels.

Here's mine.

538327_10150876450809067_411805275_n.jpg

There's quite a few threads on this.

I oak my cider. I rather use cubes since you don't have to oak as long. Barrels take a long time to get the same effect of cubes (based on surface area).

Sure, but you can just soak the oak chips/cubes in whiskey for a few weeks to get the same effect. I agree though, it does not compare to the barrels cool factor!

But who wants an oak cube Barleywine? Bourbon Barrel Barleywine sounds better with the alliteration.

Well, if the cubes are made from a bourbon barrel, you could still call it that. I'd be inclined to call it barreled anyway, since the effect is the same.

Ah..vodka & beer...what could be better? :D Anyway,oak chips have so much surface area a rather strong effect can be had when soaking 4oz of them in 3-5 jiggers of whiskey,bourbon,etc in an airtight container in the fridge for the duration of primary. Then pour all through a hop sock into secondary,tie of the sock,& drop it in for a week. It'll be fairly pungent. My whiskely ale took a day shy of 10 weeks to condition.

unionrdr said:
Oak chips work even faster. More surface area.

The problem with chips is that they are too narrow. You want the alcohol to go in and out of the wood as temperatures change and it expands and contracts. It's great for flavor. I do a lot of oaking and either use cubes or barrels.

Went to his place to bottle up 10 gallons yesterday, all his kegs are full. Had an Ale then a Wiskey beer. HOLLY crap, strong. I said that batch is stronger than the last. First was a 2 week soak, this one was a month. Guess for us 2 weeks is IT. :mug:

I have not used a barrel, but I have used some oak soaked in bourbon. I also like to add a capful or two of bourbon to any beer to see what it tastes like.

And I definitely enjoy that Innis and Gunn stuff.

Went to his place to bottle up 10 gallons yesterday, all his kegs are full. Had an Ale then a Wiskey beer. HOLLY crap, strong. I said that batch is stronger than the last. First was a 2 week soak, this one was a month. Guess for us 2 weeks is IT. :mug:

I can't imagine how there is enough actual alcohol left in the pores of that barrel to up the ABV by more than 1-2%.

The taste can get pretty strong in a relatively short time. 8 days for mine was just a hair too much with 4oz medium toast french oak chips with 5 jiggers of beam's black. I'll use maybe only 2-3 jiggers next time. A bit more oak & less bourbon flavor to get a better balance with less aging time.

I had a friend get the Innis and Gunn as a gift when he came up for a visit. The first time I tried it was after a long weekend of drinking with friends from college, and I hated it. However, after a few more days and a way more relaxed drinking schedule, I tried another one and I like it a lot. I'm not a big fan of Innis and Gunn

I have seen some full barrels at the local microbrewery that had quite a bit of whiskey still in them actually. Like a gallon or so.

Dang! Someone at the distillery was a little lax in their duties!

I'm thinking about doing another bourbon stout, but this time I'll add MORE bourbon. The last time it was pretty mild. Almost couldn't pick it out IMO.

Not enough whiskey you say?! You need to taste my all extract whiskely ale. Wish I hadf some left to send you. I'm gunna make it again some time before winter is out. got at least 4oz of french oak left.

I had a friend get the Innis and Gunn as a gift when he came up for a visit. The first time I tried it was after a long weekend of drinking with friends from college, and I hated it. However, after a few more days and a way more relaxed drinking schedule, I tried another one and I like it a lot. I'm not a big fan of Innis and Gunn

I&G now has several different beers- usually based on storing them in different barrels. Some are better than others.

Yesterday I picked up two of them in a mixed sixer- the July 2012 batch and the Spiced Rum Barrel beers, and neither of them stood out. The spiced was more interesting than the other, but didn't knock my socks off.

I oak my cider. I rather use cubes since you don't have to oak as long. Barrels take a long time to get the same effect of cubes (based on surface area).

How long do you oak your cider with the cubes? And what's the oak/cider ratio? I have a batch of cider fermenting right now, I want to try oaking it down the road. I have 3 ounces of medium toast Hungarian cubes and 6 gallons of cider.

Back