Magic Chef keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dinks

Reaction score
Yup, another keezer thread....

I got a 10% off coupon from homedepotmoving.com and decided to grab the $199 7.2cu freezer that they had. Its not the best freezer for this task but it will do what I need. If it was a tad wider you could fit 4 cornies in it, but I can only mange to get two in with a lot of wasted space. Guess I will use it to store bottles also.

The one nice thing about this freezer is there is a drain in it that is just the right size to get some tubing through it at the bottom. This way I can keep my co2 outside of the freezer.

Freezer: $199
Faucets and shanks: $60
Ranco Controller: $65
Wood/Stain/Silicone: $25

Anyways, I am not a wood worker. I would of killed for a miter saw to do this project but I had to use a jig saw with a metal blade on it. I prefer welding over nailing so working with wood is not my bread and butter. Luckily I did have a $10 air nailer from harbor freight laying around. I used 1x6 poplar pieces.

Ok, enough blah blah blah, here are the pics.

Out of the box:
IMG_4139.JPG

Hinges removed:
IMG_4141.JPG

Basic frame, I added more strips to the top rim later
IMG_4143.JPG

Test fit:
IMG_4144.JPG

Next time I will just spray paint it:
IMG_2308.JPG

L brackets were overkill, the collar is silicone/glued on very well
IMG_2306.JPG

Pretty much done, just need to run the lines:
IMG_2305.JPG

question: is that collar always necessary? If I wanted to convert a chest freezer into a kegerator, is it too short, necessitating the collar? Or was that just a convenient place for the taps?

Why are you only able to fit 2 kegs? I have a 7.0cu/ft and can fit four 5 gallon with a 2.5/3gallon keg on the hump for 5 kegs total. Just curious.

the_bird said:
Looks nice, but WTF you got a nail gun and no miter saw? ;)

Yeah yeah yeah, I know...

Actually I could fit another keg on the hump, but its not wide enough to squeeze two on the hump.

Evan! said:
question: is that collar always necessary? If I wanted to convert a chest freezer into a kegerator, is it too short, necessitating the collar? Or was that just a convenient place for the taps?
The collar gives you a safe place to drill through. If you were to drill into the freezer, you might hit a line. Plus, if you stain the wood, it looks classy.:mug:

ScubaSteve said:
The collar gives you a safe place to drill through. If you were to drill into the freezer, you might hit a line. Plus, if you stain the wood, it looks classy.:mug:

Plus plus if you need to resell the freezer or even just convert it back to a regular freezer all you need to do is remove the collar.

Kilted Brewer said:
Are the extra two pieces added support for the hinges?

Yeah I was worried that there would be to much stress on the wood from the hinges. They probably were not needed but I would rather overbuild it.

Also not shown is an extra 1 inch strip around the upper lip to help the lid seal better.

I have exactly the same one and can get 4 cornies in their. I am just getting into kegging so I haven't gotten a chance to add the taps to the front. Looks good, I am thinking about paint mine too!

8361-keezer.jpg

Beerrific said:
I have exactly the same one and can get 4 cornies in their. I am just getting into kegging so I haven't gotten a chance to add the taps to the front. Looks good, I am thinking about paint mine too!

8361-keezer.jpg

Dang... I think I need to try to squeeze the kegs in again.

dinks said:
Dang... I think I need to try to squeeze the kegs in again.

I think some kegs will barely fit, I ask for the skinniest he had when I bought mine...but 4 will fit on the floor and I could get 2 more on the hump with the collar.

dinks said:
Faucets and shanks: $60

Nice job on the woodwork.

Sorry to say that either you'll be giving those tappers a daily workout or you'll be re-buying a forward seal type (Shirron or Perlick).

You can always use them for a draft/jockey box later.

Small update.

I can easily fit 3 cornies and a #10 bottle of Co2 in there. And I still have all the room on the hump for bottles.

JodsterBrewMan said:
I'm curious if you are experiencing cooling loss because you didn't insulate the wood? Anyone given this any thoughts?

It's not a big problem because, while wood isn't a great insulator, it isn't terrible. But more important, since the cold air sinks, you don't lose too much of it at the top.

I was thinking of buying this freezer or the 5.4cuft, is the collar needed if you go through the lid(no lines in lid)

can you show ur 3 keg configuration? i have this freezer and could only fit 2 in there.

Yup, another keezer thread....

I got a 10% off coupon from homedepotmoving.com and decided to grab the $199 7.2cu freezer that they had. Its not the best freezer for this task but it will do what I need. If it was a tad wider you could fit 4 cornies in it, but I can only mange to get two in with a lot of wasted space.

Why are you only able to fit 2 kegs? I have a 7.0cu/ft and can fit four 5 gallon with a 2.5/3gallon keg on the hump for 5 kegs total. Just curious.

You arent trying hard enough my friend. Either that or Magic Chef changed their design. Beerific and I both have the same 7.2 cubic feet keezer and we both can fit 4 cornies and a carboy on the hump. Great work on the collar though.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=39343

8361-keezer.jpg

can you show ur 3 keg configuration? i have this freezer and could only fit 2 in there.

Could people post the exact model number of the Magic Chef they are using and what they fit in it? I think we may be talking about 2 different Magic Chef models. I've seen references to a 7.0CF and a 7.2CF and ironically, it appears that the 7.0CF layout will accommodate 4 cornies on the floor and the 7.2CF may only allow 2.

I called a Home Depot closest to me regarding the 7.2CF Magic Chef, model # MCCF7WBX and a gentlemen measured the inside for me before I drove there. He measured it at 17"X20". Not sure how accurate his measurements were, but I lined up 4 cornies and home and cannot get 4 to fit in 17"x20". Not sure 3 is even possible.

I know with a 8" collar you can fit two on the hump, but ideally you get 4 tight on the floor.

Can someone confirm the model # and how many cornies they fit on the floor?

Warren

I'm sorry, I dont have my model number, I will try and remember to get to it sometime this weekend, but I am 99% sure mine is the 7.2 cubic foot model. It looks exactly like Beerifics.

I was about to get one from Home Depot and I thought I would check Craigslist. Found one for $75 just listed this morning so I figured it was meant to be.

Thanks for the pictures...I'll be assembling this next week.

Could people post the exact model number of the Magic Chef they are using and what they fit in it? I think we may be talking about 2 different Magic Chef models. I've seen references to a 7.0CF and a 7.2CF and ironically, it appears that the 7.0CF layout will accommodate 4 cornies on the floor and the 7.2CF may only allow 2.

I called a Home Depot closest to me regarding the 7.2CF Magic Chef, model # MCCF7WBX and a gentlemen measured the inside for me before I drove there. He measured it at 17"X20". Not sure how accurate his measurements were, but I lined up 4 cornies and home and cannot get 4 to fit in 17"x20". Not sure 3 is even possible.

I know with a 8" collar you can fit two on the hump, but ideally you get 4 tight on the floor.

Can someone confirm the model # and how many cornies they fit on the floor?

Warren

The freezer I have, and in the pictures above is MCCF7WBX and will hold 4 cornies that have a diameter of 8.25''. I also measure 17''x20''. I think it all depends on the size of your kegs.

are you putting the carboy in to just crash cool it for transferring?
You could lager in a cornie, if that's what the carboy is in there for, and you can turn a cornie lagering keg on it's side as well if you need to (just stand it up if you are venting it).

I also have them same freezer, mine holds four also. My design is without a collar but with a four faucet "coffin" style.

Do you have a side picture of your setup?

Your keezer and Jester369's keezer are my inspiration for my project but I'll still trying to wrap my head around how the coffin should be set up so that it doesn't bang against the wall when you open up the keezer? Is yours offset from the back just a bit? Or do you have to move the whole keezer to open it up?

Thanks.

I made a post a while back.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=55575

Let me know if you need anymore photos.

I put mine on casters so it can roll away from the wall. I can also remove the coffin if need be.

I have toyed around with the idea with putting "lift" hinges on the front of the coffin so I could lift it and tilt it forward to open the freezer.

As it is I can open it enough without moving it to get items out and purge the kegs if needed. I only move it to complete the keg exchange.

The design is that it can be incorporated in the bar I will be building this winter.

Does anyone know if this is large enouhg to fit a 15.5 gallon (1/2 keg)? I would be interestedin converting this freezer if I can fit one of those form time to time if I hrow a party, even better if it woudl fit that and a corny

Does anyone know if this is large enouhg to fit a 15.5 gallon (1/2 keg)? I would be interestedin converting this freezer if I can fit one of those form time to time if I hrow a party, even better if it woudl fit that and a corny

Do you the exact size of the 1/2 barrel keg you are using?

According to this:
Kegs-new.jpg

and the measurements that MNBugeater posted (17''x20''), yes it would.

If you add the collar you could fit 2 cornies on the hump with the 1/2 barrel on the floor. Not a bead idea.

8361-keezer.jpg

definetly paint it. condensation is a killer on the wood. you need some type of protectant to keep the wood from warping or rotting from water absorption. unless you build from cypress or redwood, both of which are resistant to water, it will be come a headache trying to keep it dry, and moist wood promotes mildew too. my collar is almost finished and I plan on using some old marine paint I have laying around to really seal it up good. remove it before painting so you can paint the edges too.

Do you the exact size of the 1/2 barrel keg you are using?

According to this:
Kegs-new.jpg

and the measurements that MNBugeater posted (17''x20''), yes it would.

If you add the collar you could fit 2 cornies on the hump with the 1/2 barrel on the floor. Not a bead idea.

I would be using the 16-1/8 thats the size I usually get here in Florida if buying a keg for a party. Is this 17 x 20 the floor space with the hump not included or does the area with the hump include that area as well if so, Id definitely buy this up, keep a keg of yuengling on tap (runs $70 cheaper then homebrew) then I would do the collar and get 2 cornies on the hump for homebrew.. then I suppose my only problem would be in that I would have Sanke vs Corny tops, I dont suppose you can set up hoses to do both tops.. just dreaming here.. dont mind me.. feel free to step in and wake me up if this is not possible

Hmm.. Looking at the picture right above I see that 4 Cornys fit nicely and so I can only assume that it would fit the 1/2 barrel I am talking about and some people said you could fit a corny on the self as well given you build a collar? or would I only be able to fit the 1.2 and maybey a carboy?

Hmm.. Looking at the picture right above I see that 4 Cornys fit nicely and so I can only assume that it would fit the 1/2 barrel I am talking about and some people said you could fit a corny on the self as well given you build a collar? or would I only be able to fit the 1.2 and maybey a carboy?

I think you could fit the 1/2 barrel on the floor and then 2 cornies (or one carboy) on the hump with a collar.

I got a quick question. What is it that is holding the collar in place? Is it just silicone sealant of some sort? Also, what thickness of wood is everyone using? I have a hard time judging by the pictures.

Back