Irish moss - routine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelCourt

Reaction score
I was wondering how commonly is Irish moss - or others finings - used by the homebrewers on this forum.

I have little experience, but my understanding is that a good cold break after the boil should work as well. Is there any downside to using finings?? Should you use it routinely anyway to ensure a clear beer without chill haze??

Any opinions appreciated.

Michael

Hey and welcome to the forum! :)

It's one of those things I always own, but never use. Sure, over the years I've used it a handful of times if the mood struck me. But I have honestly never seen much of a difference, and a little chill haze has never really bothered me.

The clearest beer I ever made was using my old RIMS system, which would recirculate the mash through the grain bed the whole time. I have no explanation why this would work so well, but it did. No chill haze. Nothing. Crystal clear.

Note that recirculating a few quarts of wort will not accomplish the same thing. You need to recirculate for 15 minutes or so at least with a pump. In the end, it's a real PITA to recirculate wort at all, and I no longer do it. I may someday add a pump to my current setup, but I'm in no hurry. Pouring a couple of quarts back through does nothing as far as I can tell. Trub settles on its own ;)

I use it but I am not sure it really does much, I just add some 45 min into the boil....... also the place I get my beerk kits from include the moss. I figured it can't hurt.

Janx said:
Hey and welcome to the forum! :)

It's one of those things I always own, but never use. Sure, over the years I've used it a handful of times if the mood struck me. But I have honestly never seen much of a difference, and a little chill haze has never really bothered me.

The clearest beer I ever made was using my old RIMS system, which would recirculate the mash through the grain bed the whole time. I have no explanation why this would work so well, but it did. No chill haze. Nothing. Crystal clear.

Note that recirculating a few quarts of wort will not accomplish the same thing. You need to recirculate for 15 minutes or so at least with a pump. In the end, it's a real PITA to recirculate wort at all, and I no longer do it. I may someday add a pump to my current setup, but I'm in no hurry. Pouring a couple of quarts back through does nothing as far as I can tell. Trub settles on its own ;)

Chill haze hasn't been an issue for me either. Last night a friend and I swaped a bottle of beer, mine an amber and his an IPA. He noted that mine was clearer as his had a bit of a haze. As we sampled each others product I enjoyed his as much as my own. I have used Irish moss in the past but I don't worry about it any more.

Does the length of time spent in secondary fermentation affect clarity? I assume it does. I imagine that anything that gives the particulate matter longer to settle (longer in bottles, longer in kegs) would improve clarity. Is Irish moss just a shortcut to clear beer quicker then?

I think it aids in clearing HB because MOST of us don't filter our beer.

I use the IM in the boil as well as a couple of TSP Polyclar in the secondary.

I've never made a batch without it so I really can't tell you if it's worth the hassle or not.

Of course it's not necessary for dark beers. :D

homebrewer_99 said:
I think it aids in clearing HB because MOST of us don't filter our beer.

I use the IM in the boil as well as a couple of TSP Polyclar in the secondary.

I've never made a batch without it so I really can't tell you if it's worth the hassle or not.

Of course it's not necessary for dark beers. :D

After a batch sits in the secondary for a bit at, say, room temp, would moving it to a much colder area for a bit help clear it up any?

Back