Lids blown off brew buckets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shovhed1

Reaction score
I guess I went a little overboard with my yeast starter. I made a 15 gallon batch of pale ale yesterday. This morning, the lids were lying on the floor and beer was all over the walls. Did I loose this batch? I never had this happen before.

No, it will be fine. Resanitize the lid and use a blow off tube until fermentation slows down. (Just use some sanitized tubing that fits in the airlock hole- and then run that tubing down into a pitcher filled with water or sanitizer)

You can do a search on here on blow off tubes if I"m not explaining that right- it seems to make sense to me but I've been told that sometimes my explanations aren't very clear!

Here is a thread about using a blow off tube with a bucket. There's a good picture of a way to connect up the blow off tube.

Hey, i in my case the lid didn't come totally off but just popped up off the bucket part way. It's never happened to me before and I was leery of taking it all the way off to re-sanitize. So I just pushed it back in to place. Should I have taken it off and sanitized before putting it back in place? Sorry to hijack the thread but it seemed like as good a place as any to jump in.

Thanks

Hey, i in my case the lid didn't come totally off but just popped up off the bucket part way. It's never happened to me before and I was leery of taking it all the way off to re-sanitize. So I just pushed it back in to place. Should I have taken it off and sanitized before putting it back in place? Sorry to hijack the thread but it seemed like as good a place as any to jump in.

Thanks

you should be fine.

Back