3 Way Switch, 1500W element help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimWeber

Reaction score
I just hit a snag in my electric panel. I was wiring up my electric element then realized that my switches were only rated for 10A? When realistically I need 15A switches.

I am using a 3 way switch ON OFF RUN. I'm using the BCS for the run function. Then a force on for by-pass. The element (1500watt) is for my HLT. Here are some hand sketches an pictures of the system so far. Can someone tell me if there is a 15 -20A switch out there I can purchase, or if there is a way to do this without 2 Direct purpose contractors? Running out of room in the control panel.

Sorry in advance for the crappy diagrams. :drunk:

Thanks for any help!

Disclaimer-I'm a MechE. Not an EE.

img0326q.jpg

By timweber at 2011-03-31

img0326q.jpg

img0312sm.jpg

img2289.jpg

I can't tell from the pics, but I have similar switches for every item in my brewery. You won't have 15A running through them if you're using the BCS to control an SSR, you'll have about 25ma since it's just being used to energize the coil of the SSR (very low current).

For the On function, just connect that to the BCS +5V signal.

Back