Broken Glass Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schumed

Reaction score
I recently scored a 4 glass carboys on craigslist for $20 bucks.... So seller had them outside in the snow...so when I got them home I started to clean them up....but made the mistake of using hot water with cold glass... If you don't know what happens the glass will break...it was only a solid break right at the bottom in one piece. I was little bummed and put it with the recycles but just couldn't let it go to waste...so did some research and figured epoxy was my best chance of repairing. I followed the directions and put it back together since it was just one piece let it dry for 3 days...an tested it out with water...didn't leaked and actually can hardly tell it was broke. My question for you guys would you still use this to ferment. Little concern about the epoxy given an off flavor to my beer. Anybody experience this. I guess I can always give it a try and see what happens.

I would probably be too paranoid. However, I have a carboy that somewhere along the way must have been dropped. It has some circular cracks on the bottom. I still use this carboy and have not had any issues, although your crack sounds a little more severe (lol at that last statement).

The integrity of the carboy is not what it used to be. And previously unbroken ones have been known to break. Search broken carboy up in the search box.

Just my two cents, but I'd throw it away.

Considering what you paid, I'd just cut my loss at that. Losing a batch all over your floor would be a lot more than the cost of the carboy. Plus, the crack is a perfect uncleanable spot to harvest bad bugs.

The rest of the glass is probably weak from the stress too. I wouldn't use it personally just for sake of safety and preserving the brew.

The other thing to be concerned about here is that you've just created a big circular line around the inside of your carboy that will be impossible to get totally clean. It would be a prime spot for bacteria to move into.

I'd ditch this one and chalk it up to experience.

If it were mine I'd trash it. Like others have said, you're not out that much $. Also not worth the risk of a trip to the hospital.

I'm sure you would get some mad infections. I'd use it to store lose change. When ever u get home just empty your pockets into it and before you know it you have your next vacation paid for.

It might hurt a bit throwing it away, but all that work making a great beer kit might make you cry when it's all over your floor. We don't want you to cry.

Take it outside and put it out of it's misery. Couple of shots with a .22 should do it.

Back