Is this weld too rusty for beer???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tfrost12

Reaction score
I was given this mash tun which has had a lot of use over the years. But the weld in the bottom seams to have rusted, Im sure I can get some of it off with wd40 and some steel wool. But would having just a little rust be detrimental to the flavor of the beer.
The off color around the weld seems to be more of a stain from either rust or grains and some of it comes off easily.

PICT0179.jpg

PICT0182.jpg

I would ask a reputable welder if they can replace the fitting.

If that is not an option, a dremel tool and a wire brush attachment might get nearly all of it. Of course you'll have to brew all the time to keep the rust from coming back.

+1 for new fitting. get that trash out of there. i wouldn't worry about the surface rust on the bottom of the tun tho, just clean it up as homercidal suggest.

Kinda looks like a weldless fitting. Put some PB Blaster on it and try to break it loose. Then go buy a new one for about $10.

Back