Brewing Classic Styles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennisw

Reaction score
Has anybody read and tried recipes from this book by Jamil Zainasheff and John Palmer?
This book has recipes for extract brewers that were converted from all grain. The recipes call for volumes of LME such as 8.7 pounds or .5 pounds etc.
How does one get or measure 8.7 pounds of LME?

Yes I have the book and both Extract and all grain recipes are given for each. You weigh your liquid extract just like you would grain or hops. Buy in bulk and you always have malt in stock.

With a scale. It's invaluable in brewing, you can get a cheap digital kitchen one for under 20 bucks at any big box store.

Additionally If you are buying canned LME, the standard can is 3.3 pounds. So you would use almost three cans.

Also if you are buying bulk liquid LME online or at a homebrew shop you can ask them to measure you out the correct amount.

And as to the book, it's sort of like a bible, Palmer and Jamil are two of the top homebrewing authorities around, and those recipes represent the best expression of each style. You can't really go wrong with those recipes starting out.

This is a good question. In smaller amounts the LME is sold in the foil bags, which in my opinion makes it very difficult to dose and store the leftover. I usually just measure out what I need and then throw the rest away. I believe in bulk (usually at least 40lb) it is sold in actual containers, so it would be easier to measure out and store.

Although, I supposed you could still buy the smaller foil bags, and just use your own container to dose out and store. I don't know why I didn't think of that earlier.

Another point to consider is that everytime you transfer it from one container to another some is lost. It's so damn sticky that it's imposible to scrape it all out. Especialy if it's cold.

DME seams like it would be way easier to work with in bulk.

I really like my FoodSaver resealable jars for storing leftover LME/DME. By sucking the excess air out of the container, it will last longer in between brews, plus the DME won't turn into a solid brick - that stuff is majorly hygroscopic!

You can use whatever liquid amount is convenient, then make up the remainder with DME, which is easier to measure.

Also, if you can't get fresh LME, go with dry instead. It has a much longer shelf life. Just make sure you convert the amounts between LME and DME.

Back