New Hop Variety

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheeto

Born again N00b
HBT Supporter
Reaction score

The new hop variety CITRA ?:
The variety Citra, with a alpha acid content
between 10-12% and an oil content of 2-3 %
originated from a cross between the female
European noble aroma variety Hallertauer
mittelfrueh and a male that was derived from the
variety known as U.S. Tettnanger. Citra is 50%
Hallertauer mittelfrueh, 25% U.S. Tettnanger and
the remaining 25% is East Kent Golding,
Bavarian, Brewers Gold and other unknown hops.
Citra has a special flavor and aroma that it
imparts to beer. Depending on the brewing
process and the hopping rate, the flavors and
aromas of beers hopped with Citra might range
from grapefruit to lime, melon, gooseberry, and
lychee fruit.

Older hop Newsletter
[ame="http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Citra+Hops&aq=f&oq=Citra+Hop"]Google search[/ame]​

Anyone else see this anywhere?
I know that a forum for Washington brewers was offering some up for "testing", missed out on that.​

I am wondering if it is going to be a few years before we can buy it at the LHBS​

or have been away too long?​

-Jason​

My only experience with Citra hops is in Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA, which is very tasty. If I ever find them, I will purchase some no doubt.

I just read about these hops in the Mid-Atlantic Brewing News newsletter that my LHBS hands out with every purchase. Apparently, homebrewers won't be able to get their hands on them for quite a while. They are only growing them experimentally on 2 acres...bummmmmer. Torpedo IPA is really good though...many tropical flavors and aromas from the Citra.

It's so interesting how much of a different soil and climate have on a hop's characteristics; I mean, you figure you start with Hallertau and Tettnag and EKG, you're thinking a classic noble-type hop but instead it sounds more in the vein of the classic American hops. Same when you bring Cascade down to Argentina! Location is EVERYTHING, I'm now convinced that there's only one variety of hop and that different varieties just represent different locations!

I just read about these hops in the Mid-Atlantic Brewing News newsletter that my LHBS hands out with every purchase. Apparently, homebrewers won't be able to get their hands on them for quite a while. They are only growing them experimentally on 2 acres...bummmmmer. Torpedo IPA is really good though...many tropical flavors and aromas from the Citra.

Where are these two acres at? I have a shovel and a couple more acres!

It's so interesting how much of a different soil and climate have on a hop's characteristics; I mean, you figure you start with Hallertau and Tettnag and EKG, you're thinking a classic noble-type hop but instead it sounds more in the vein of the classic American hops. Same when you bring Cascade down to Argentina! Location is EVERYTHING, I'm now convinced that there's only one variety of hop and that different varieties just represent different locations!

I think you are on to something, I have read about this in other plants, Tulips I think, that is why the best ones come from Holland

Terroir - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think it holds true for a lot of food products. Coffee, tea, wine...and hops.

Well, it's a huge deal in the wine industry, but I've had some terrific wines from the Finger Lakes that are grown from the same types of grapes grown in Germany (like Rieslings), and I can't perceive a huge amount of difference. But, plant some German hops in the same area, and I bet they'd be COMPLETELY different. I'm saying that the effect of region seems to be a lot more dramatic for hops than for many other agricultural products; the differences we're talking about between domestic and Argentinian Cascades, for example, are anything but subtle!

is it possible that sierra nevada has a contract on these hops and owns the right to them?? just a thought.

In the forthcoming Torpedo package, we are not only using the new Hop Torpedo method, but also debuting a new variety of hop. We are using a new varietal called the Citra hop. Sierra Nevada ( and two other breweries) funded the research and development of this variety and we own most of the acreage available in the world, (which is something like 3 acres).

Sierra Nevada Torpedo becomes first new year-round release in over 28 years | Beernews.org

Latest posts

Back